CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

caravaggio

20th April 2010, 17:52
Although I've finished this puzzle fairly quickly, there are two particularly awful clues - 7a and 20a. I look forward to your comments in due course!
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

robtherich

20th April 2010, 21:02
Still not finished (more interesting stuff intrudes...) but have to add 22a as an example of awful clueing: the answer is monosyllabic, the alleged soundalike has two syllables if you'm one of them what speaks proper... So far Caravaggio's examples are ones I haven't cracked, probably because they're so naff.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

philip

20th April 2010, 21:21
Caravaggio and Robtherich

Picked it up late and found most of it OK but agree on 20a and 22a although liked 8a. Currently stuck on 1d 7a, and 6d

John from Arran wont be doing it tonight, as he is no doubt stuck at Arran International Airport waiting for his RT!!

PHILIP
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

philip

20th April 2010, 21:49
Finished but 6d was very badly constructed
PHILIP
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

thicky

20th April 2010, 21:58
I always seem to behind you all, no matter how hard I try.
Can some one explain the answer to 6d which PHILIP has commented on

First to leave channel, say.
?T?E?
I have STEER
Am I right. if so why?
THICKIE
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

i've got joy division ovengloves

20th April 2010, 22:03
(g)utter
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

thicky

20th April 2010, 22:07
Ovengloves
Thanks. So obvious when you see the answer
THICKY
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

20th April 2010, 23:26
It's strange how it can vary from day to day. I did it in less than half an hour this evening whilst watching the map programme on BBC4! No holdups at all.

Favourite clue:

9D Ill at ease about October man flu! (13)

I have to say that when I had "Man Flu", as SWMBO called it, last October I was considerably worse than this clue implies.

Here are alternative clues for 7A & 6D which may be harder than the originals.

7A BP recruit from whisky without the Swiss about turn (5)

6D Back up no sailors around square say (5)
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

bees

22nd April 2010, 19:00
Congratulations John, on bringing whisky into the fray. I don't understand your clues, you're obviously too clever for me. If I watch BBC4 will I catch up?
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

22nd April 2010, 21:57
For 7A:

There is only one kind of whisky worth mentioning. Remove from that the car plate identification for Switzerland. Then put it round a type of turn (think Maggie Thatcher) and you have a BP recruit.

For 6D:

A synonym for 'back' written up as it's a down clue and remove the sailors (Royal Navy). Then put it around a type of drawing square and you have a synonym for 'say'.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post