CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

4th April 2010, 02:48
24D Fleet vehicle turned up close to Piccadilly (4)

N_V_

Can only see nava(a van backwards) or avon/nova - but doesn't make sense to me - Help!

1 of 8  -   Report This Post

homer

4th April 2010, 05:00
Duh... Navy?
Well, it was quite late at night I suppose,p
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

simong

4th April 2010, 06:20
I'm stuck on 6d "European, small Parisienne, appearing in Czech play, will get a coach (10)"

I've got _E_E_I_E_R - it looks like PETITE should be in there but I don't understand Czech play and can't think of any word to fit. I'm pretty sure of the letters I do have so please help!

Thanks!
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

ajt

4th April 2010, 07:31
Good morning - the word is repetiteur. It is given in Chambers, with 2 grave accents, so obviously a french word.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

simong

4th April 2010, 07:38
Good morning AJT and many thanks for your explanation!

I can see PETITE in EUR which I guess means R = Czech play? That I don't understand...

I'm also a little dubious about the validity of using French words as solutions unless, of course, they're in normal usage...

Anyway, many thanks for providing the answer which is one I would never have got otherwise!
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

ajt

4th April 2010, 07:45
Hi again SimonG - I just googled RUR and found it was a play written by Czech author Capek, and RUR was Rossams Universal Robots. We learn something every day, don't we?
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

simong

4th April 2010, 07:50
Hi AJT, well that has to be one of the most obscure clues I've come accross recently - bit odd to be in an Everyman as well, more the sort of thing one would expect from Araucaria...
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th April 2010, 12:17
hmm - note to self - don't do crosswords after coming in from pub!
8 of 8  -   Report This Post