CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

29th September 2014, 02:58
October puzzle:

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WQdeO9wXEHYWpZOWVHQlNoRlk/edit?usp=sharing

September solution:

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WQdeO9wXEHd2RybFBqdU9ockU/edit?usp=sharing

Please download, preview, then print.

NB: This format might be a bit tougher than usual (at least for me), but I know you all like a challenge.

Have fun.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

ginge

29th September 2014, 14:13
Great stuff syzygy, love this type of puzzle which I first came across in the Listener which I've recently started doing. Some superb clues (as per) and among the ones which particularly impressed me were 12 (especially with the answer being Foreign to me), 18*, 20, 31 across and 8 down.
Many thanks again.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th September 2014, 14:16
Thanks, syzzie! I've got all the regular clues (that part was quick) but still have to contend with the four specials. 18a and 7d are quite something (the latter is a riot).
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th September 2014, 14:18
Hadn't seen your post, ginge. I liked those too.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th September 2014, 19:24
Finally got it. Just needed my afternoon coffee.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th September 2014, 19:37
I must say the Sondheim connection threw me. I know he sets challenging cryptics, so I assume this is just a style he's used. I was expecting a word that's somehow associated with his musicals.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

ginge

29th September 2014, 20:09
Hi aristo, I don't see any connection or relevance with the "code" word here but (hopefully) I've included a link below that shows Sondheim"s passion for the Listener puzzles that I was previously unaware of that you might find somewhat interesting.

http://www.listenercrossword.com/HTML/History09.html
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th September 2014, 20:25
Thanks, ginge. Maltby is of course a Broadway director, producer, lyricist, etc., so I figure this may be something that Sondheim introduced him to or that they share a fondness for. I had thought that there might be an allusion to, say, the witchery in Into the Woods.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

syzygy

30th September 2014, 06:09
Glad you liked it.

I'm still trying to parse 18A. Rather British, I would say. They seem to like spanking. (-;
7 & 8 D got double stars.

Not sure if I want to spend the requisite time on the P Square, for 4 blank spaces - the uncrossed.
Well, I do have a month.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

ginge

30th September 2014, 07:52
Hi syzygy, pretty sure you'll parse 18 if youlook at it fresh. Re the playfair cypher, without wishing to appear condescending it is relatively easy here if, as you have done, completed all others and know the 4 words to be coded as the preamble tells you it is 1 word and the information gleaned leads to it with few inferences/educated guesses having to be made. Should you decide to proceed and not succeed, I think highly unlikely, email me (save spoiling for others) and I'll take you through the steps I used.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post