CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

7th September 2013, 10:37
Thanks: I KNEW I must be missing something, and that Araucaria must be ahead of me!

chrise: I think the second and third words merely tells us what we have to do with the letters of the first word after getting the fourth and fifth.
11 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th September 2013, 10:39
Hi rogissimo
Getting close to revealing the answer (which I would like to avoid), but I just took the letters of "all" out of a two-word entry point for fuel, to leave the salmon.
12 of 36  -   Report This Post

lynbejack

7th September 2013, 11:39
Thank you. I will try to remember that next time we can't find it. Being thick on my a, v, and m answers.
13 of 36  -   Report This Post

scarlett

7th September 2013, 11:49
a - think "ancient mariner"
v - cape off portugal with french here + m inside
m - type of hand grenade
14 of 36  -   Report This Post

livs

7th September 2013, 15:19
Cheers! 'M' was my last one and I was thinking of cars and getting nowhere.

Loved this puzzle - some really funny clues and a couple of new words. Thanks, Araucaria! I was proud of myself for remembering X from reading Brewer years ago - got her without any other letters.

I've finished it but I can't parse a few: both the Qs and L and one of the Bs. If anyone can just do the parsing, I have all the answers:

b - Actor [definition] on edge (not quite) about [OK, most of 'edge' backwards] some gammon [male pig] (7)
What I don't get is the male pig is forwards and there's one letter from 'edge' inside the pig! 'about' can't mean the pig is inside 'edge', because it isn't. I'm confused.

q - Kill questions for some cloth (5)
q - ... and what's in tray (5)
Can't parse either of these at all, but there seems to be only one possible answer in each case.

l - My feudal lord's [def'n] found midst the great war's clangour (5)
Huh?

All explanations gratefully received.

And thanks, syzygy, for a laugh-out-loud from this:

'The Guardian needs to get a new programmer.
If I were in England, I'd hunt that bastard down.'
15 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th September 2013, 15:23
B I had a different "edge" (nearly) I think, so the bit of "gammon" was much simpler
The first Q - last three letters are a measure of cloth
16 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th September 2013, 15:24
btw does anyone agree with me about the redundant "Eastern" in the C clue?
17 of 36  -   Report This Post

livs

7th September 2013, 15:58
thanks, chrise. I see the other edge now. Funny how these things can (almost) work 2 or more ways sometimes.

Not sure about the salmon. Wikipedia says they're traditionally from the Northern Pacific Ocean: is that 'eastern' as in Far East?
18 of 36  -   Report This Post

livs

7th September 2013, 15:59
Just noticed wiki spells them without the final 'e' - ??!
19 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th September 2013, 16:01
Might be, livs, but I think the clue works just as well (better?) without the "Eastern".
20 of 36  -   Report This Post