CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

24th August 2013, 18:59
This one looks incredibly time consuming and difficult so I won't be wasting much effort on it. It seems that a computer program would have to be written to cut down the number crunching - something I wouldn't have a clue about. However, can anyone suggest where the best place to start this beast would be - assuming I decide to pick up the paper again!
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

demeter

24th August 2013, 19:47
unclued,

I've written a program to help me solve this, but I'm still stuck! There's a certain inconsistency that I can't resolve. I must be missing something.

The best ones to start with are E and K (only 1 possibility for each).
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

unclued

24th August 2013, 21:04
Thank Demeter but I can't get any enthusiasm for this - I need to get a life!
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

ollie

25th August 2013, 08:50
demeter

Surely there must be at least two possibilities for E, as the lengths are 1,2,2.
My program has produced 4.

ollie
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

demeter

25th August 2013, 15:10
Ollie,

Yes, you're right.

I only have 2 possibilities for E, though: I, PZ, WT or I, WT, PZ.

Maybe the fact that I'm missing the other 2 has to do with why I'm getting stuck elsewhere. Something wrong with my code, presumably.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

ollie

25th August 2013, 15:41
demeter

I have
I,PZ,WT
I,WT,PZ
W,SZ,UL
W,UL,SZ
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

unclued

25th August 2013, 16:51
What program are you using? Is it possible to solve just using Excel?
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

ollie

25th August 2013, 17:17
unclued

The code is quite simple.
I don't use M$ products if avoidable, so have no idea about Excel. Openoffice Calc proved too tedious because of the letter transformations - it will do base conversion, but changing to ZAB...W was messy.
Some progress solving by inspection, but, at the moment, I can't see how anyone could do it just with a calculator (or spreadsheet).
Solver's blog should be interesting.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

demeter

25th August 2013, 18:21
Ah!

Thanks so much Ollie.

Just realised that my coding error was (a 'fence-post' error: only searching up to 1 below the maximum possible value)
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

lavengro

29th August 2013, 09:21
Am a bit late in the day coming to this one (LC 4256). Canyou / anyone confirm that the K solution is encoded: RNH / FA / T ? A yes or no should not give too much away ... I am not "au fait" with Excel sheets and writing computer programmes (!) so, if anyone knows a logical way in to this puzzle, please give me a nudge ! I am fully prepared for a hard slog i-e- still up for the challenge ...
10 of 11  -   Report This Post