CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gharbij ihn

27th May 2013, 13:46
Finished, but still unhappy about 4 d 'Make crack about always worshipping' (8). The framework letters are
R-V-R-N-
Earlier posts have suggested both 'revering' and 'reverent' - 'ever' in 'ring' or in 'rent'. I find neither fully satisfactory. Does anyone out there have the definitive answer?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

theambler

27th May 2013, 13:51
Hi ghb
Yes REVERENT
RENT around EVER
Def Reverent is the attitude of worshipping.
As I am a Reverend you have it from the horses mouth!!!!!1
Kind Regs THEA
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

gharbij ihn

27th May 2013, 15:23
Thank you Thea for your response, combining equinity and divinity. Despite the absolute authority, I'm still uncomfortable with the clue as I don't find 'rent/rend' synonymous with 'crack'. 'Crack' relates to brittle or frangible substances, 'rend/rent' to fabrics or other tractable/malleable materials. But there you are -'keep calm..,' etc.
Incidentally, from the introduction of your response, do I detect that my alias is beginning to unravel?
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

theambler

27th May 2013, 15:35
hi Equinimity and Divinity I like it.
BTW Might have called you GBH
All the best
Thea
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

27th May 2013, 15:41
Paraphrasing Chambers,,, if a 'rent' can mean a 'fissure' and a 'fissure' can mean a 'crack', I see no problem with 'rent' being equated with 'crack'.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

gharbij ihn

27th May 2013, 16:17
Hello Malone and Theambler. What with the crack in my pocket and the rent in my teapot it's all getting too complicated for a gentle old soul like me - no harm, bodily or otherwise, would cross my mind.
I propose to drop the matter, hoping that it doesn't leave a fissure in the carpet.

Thanks to you both. Regards. gi.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

27th May 2013, 16:29
Gi, I think I was as puzzled by your bewilderment with crack=rent as you were with the original synonymousness. My post/message appears terser than my thinking was!
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

gharbij ihn

27th May 2013, 16:49
Hi Malone
We are warned that it's the last of the sunny days here , so I'm going out now to get some air.
I look forward to future encounters!
All the best
Gi
8 of 8  -   Report This Post