CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

13th April 2013, 02:58
Araucaria in very good form
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

rh142

13th April 2013, 05:21
Completely agree - brilliant crossword from Big A.
Lots of good stuff - but 2d is one of the best/funniest clues I've seen in a long time - sums up his wit & humour I think.
Also 20,21 referring to "time 26 between 1s (across and down)" is superb and very typical (& topical) of him.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

13th April 2013, 08:12
Exactly: several clues that look insoluble at first,one or two completely disguised definitions, play on words other 1a would never dream up,mysterious cross-referencing,"simple" ones where the penny doesn't drop till much later,only occasional use of recondite vocabulary,chance to learn all about events you've never really heard of, but also to polish up your knowledge of the Classics,puns where you wonder why no-one else has ever thought of them ----- I'm sorry, but there really IS no ma
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

13th April 2013, 08:12
Exactly: several clues that look insoluble at first,one or two completely disguised definitions, play on words other 1a would never dream up,mysterious cross-referencing,"simple" ones where the penny doesn't drop till much later,only occasional use of recondite vocabulary,chance to learn all about events you've never really heard of, but also to polish up your knowledge of the Classics,puns where you wonder why no-one else has ever thought of them ----- I'm sorry, but there really IS no ma
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

13th April 2013, 08:14
(woops) master of delight of his calibre! Thank you, "Arau", for every little detail!
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

livs

15th April 2013, 08:34
I agree, this was a really neat one. Did it on Saturday without recourse to the internet but am still mystified by 'time 26 between 1s (across and down)'. Knowing all the answers (and all the other parsing) doesn't help at all. What's the connection?
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

15th April 2013, 11:42
You posed a very good question,livs, but I've got the answer:
German one of the dogs=HUND
brings up=REARS
without=surrounding colouring=DYE
time ofwar between setters & solvers:2013 is crossword centenary (first one published in USA 1913)
Extremely clever Arau., wasn't it -- not just the OTHER "Hundred Years War" between England & France which in fact lasted about 116 years!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

livs

15th April 2013, 11:54
Ah, all is clear at last - thanks gk!

Didn't know about the centenary.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

livs

15th April 2013, 11:55
BTW, I thought German = HUN
and one of the dogs = D
but it's all the same in the end.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post