CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

23rd March 2013, 22:19
I'm perplexed by this...

Order to accept girl instead of Republican of reduced social status (9) - DECLASSEE seems to fit the letter pattern and the parsing (Decree with Lass in place of R) but according to all online dictionaries the word does not exist... (Declasse does but not Declassee) Where am I going wrong?
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd March 2013, 22:21
Declassee exists in Chambers, so it's fine!
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

syzygy

23rd March 2013, 22:22
It's French. That's the feminine form.

3 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd March 2013, 22:23
Thanks Malone, this is not the first time that a word has failed to show in the online Chambers but has been in the hard copy (I'll have to get myself a copy (or win one!)). Thanks again.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd March 2013, 22:24
Got it, thanks syzygy.
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd March 2013, 22:26
Brendan, I've just tried declasse? in the Chambers wizard thing and declassee came up!
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd March 2013, 22:33
Hi Malone, you're right, but what happened is I saw the word in the Chamber Word Wizard and then looked it up in the Chambers online dictionary where it says 'No entries were found' which made me want to double check it on this site first.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd March 2013, 22:37
Glad it's all ok, Brendan - I had just wondered if we were both using the same Chambers website (I wouldn't want you to have been missing out on a valuable resource!)
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd March 2013, 22:47
Thanks Malone, you're right on the button - since i started doing cryptics Chambers has almost become my bible!
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th March 2013, 12:04
I'm wondering if I've gone wrong somewhere with the letters for this...

Possibly St James's priest secure (8) - C?U?L?N? I think it might be Clubland or Coupling but each are as tenuous as each other.... any ideas (with explanation) or have I gone wrong?
10 of 14  -   Report This Post