CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smudgy13

12th February 2013, 16:52
Hi there can anyone help with 104a(9) slurring in print l?b?l?i?g (i thought libeling but obviously does not fit) 3d(6) like a hen over eggs,motherly ?r?o?y.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

bernie

12th February 2013, 16:54
Broody.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

12th February 2013, 16:55
The normal UK spelling is LIBELLING, which does fit!
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

12th February 2013, 16:58
Just to make it clear: the doubling of final consonants, e.g. before -ed & -ing, depends on the emphasis BUT final L is always doubled in UK Eng, never in US (or are there exceptions to THAT exception?) -- you're prob. thinking of the US sp.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

12th February 2013, 16:59
Thanks bernie why when you see the answer you could kick yourself for not getting it .Greedy kite thanks to you to greedy kite i have never been good at spelling and i think new dictionary is needed!.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

12th February 2013, 17:02
After making my reply saw i had greedy kite twice in my sentence ooh my bad day or what ! Think i go crawl into a dark corner.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

12th February 2013, 17:05
No, no, I appreciate the additional publicity, smudgy!
btw I don't think every native speaker would be so aware of that rule, which seems very arbitrary anyway -- I only know it well because I taught it all my life!
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

smudgy13

12th February 2013, 17:34
I knew you were very brainy by your answer but you explained it beautifully and i understood it ,usually i get bit confused (not hard to do ) if things are explained if they long winded but that not the case with you and i definately learned something new many thanks greedy kite .
8 of 8  -   Report This Post