CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

8th January 2013, 16:59
1 ?
2 ?
3 DROGHEDA?
4 CO-OPERATE???
5 BULLDOG DRUMMOND
21 of 39  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th January 2013, 17:01
Sadly, just the one this week:

5. Bulldog Drummond.

Looking forward to seeing the answers. This was really tricky today. Thanks jolan x

22 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th January 2013, 17:02
Back again! Time's up though. Only had COWARD and Bulldog Drummond.
23 of 39  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th January 2013, 17:04
You fooled me with "food-fish", jolan - I thought it was misdirection and the answer was a food!
Also I couldn't parse DROGHEDA because it was wrong.
Thanks very this challenging set - kept me head-scratching all afternoon (wet again). I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to 2.
24 of 39  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th January 2013, 17:06
"Thanks very much for......."
25 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th January 2013, 17:12
jazzgirl: Went to Chan's (in RI, one of the best jazz places on the East Coast) the other night to hear Greg Abate, and there was a trumpeter by the name of Eric Bloom. Ever heard of him? Whoa!
26 of 39  -   Report This Post

andyc

8th January 2013, 17:19
Thought 4 might be co-portion!
27 of 39  -   Report This Post

jolan

8th January 2013, 17:20
Ah! At last. Never thought it would happen. Two to go @ 5. I was going to wait for Tony to have a go before revealing all but, I'm sure he'll resist looking at the 'working' and solve them for himself.

Ari. Believe it or not, my first two names are JOHN PAUL, so they names two Popes after me! lol.

Nice, also, to see R'elf back after s busy Xmas season.

Rosie, well done! 3/5.

And, Chrise! Glad you enjoyed the challenge.

I've spoken to everyone else earlier, so, here goes:-

1. food-fish = cod; cold = raw (weather reference); cold-rolled = war; ‘stuffed with’ = co(war)d = COWARD = chicken (sl).

2. lift = take up; a bolt = an arrow = a quarrel; TAKE UP A QUARREL (Shakesp) = to settle a dispute (Chambers D)

3. put out = douse; ‘hog’ being transported = ogh or gho; d(ogh)ouse or do(gho)use = DOGHOUSE (sl) = a place of disgrace

4. catch = cop; in preference to = or (Chambers Thes); (taking = +) ‘into’ organisation = tion; giving, CO-PORTION (n) = a share (Chambers Dict.)

5. Sapper = Herman Cyril McNeile (author); busy = a detective; Sapper’s busy = (Capt. Hugh) ‘BULLDOG’ DRUMMOND which is an anagram (problem) of “old blond mum + drug”

I'll hang about for a few moments and then it's Knife & Fork (and shovel) time again. Yeehaw!

28 of 39  -   Report This Post

jolan

8th January 2013, 17:21
Yay, Andyc! You got it as I wrote. Super.
29 of 39  -   Report This Post

pastille

8th January 2013, 17:23
Only two...3, 5....

Thanks Jolan....
30 of 39  -   Report This Post