CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

steenland

8th November 2012, 03:22
I guess I'm stupid, but can someone please explain to me the answer to 55-Down in today's (11/7/12) Universal Crossword?

Clue: "...lender be"
Answer: ENOS

Huh??

Thanks!
1 of 4  -   Report This Post

trevor

8th November 2012, 04:29
...i'm completely stumped, it might be worth mentioning to any other would be solvers that the previous clue - Writer/ Director Ephron - gives the answer Nora.
so the phrase, neither a borrower (nor a) lender be, might apply.

ps. Enos is the correct answer.
http://games.yahoo.com/game/daily-crosswords-flash.html
2 of 4  -   Report This Post

steenland

8th November 2012, 05:07
Thanks for your reply Trevor. I think you may have provided the solution: an editorial slip-up.

While I'm reluctant to suggest that the esteemed Mr. Parker has erred, it certainly makes more sense to me that the clue for 55D was intended as an option for 54D, and that the actual clue for 55D is missing.

Thanks for pointing that out! It might even have helped me to feel a little less stupid, if not for the fact that I somehow double-posted my original question! (For which I apologize to all!)
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

yoblatsr

10th November 2012, 22:57
I too have a problem with the 55D answer fitting the given clue and I also noticed the coincidence with the 54D answer being more fitting. Oddly, on line there seems to be a lot to do with mortgage lending in Enos, Ill. Don't know whether that is something related or not.
4 of 4  -   Report This Post