CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

31st October 2012, 12:43
Good afternoon.

I've tried to parse the following clue, without success. Anyone see the setter's 'mind'?

Scope,we hear, for Hecuba's tears (5)R?E?M

The solution is quite clear, RHEUM = tears (poetic) BUT where does Hecuba come into it? I know all about the various Hecubas, the principal one having experienced great tradegy. BUT, what's the requirement for Hecuba in the clue.

Scope, we hear, for tears (5) would be a fine clue. We hear 'room'(scope) and rheum = tears (poetic).

Am I missing something simple?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

gok wan acolytes

31st October 2012, 12:53
I think its from Hamlet.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

mamya

31st October 2012, 12:57
Seems the setter has chosen Hecuba , as one who is known to shed tears...

"Hecuba’s "tears drowned in the desert of her grief"

Can see no other real reason for her inclusion.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

ab

31st October 2012, 13:04
I think the word "rheum" is in Hamlet's description of Hecuba to the players about how to play her, so maybe the setter is nudging or just being unnecessarily clever?
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

31st October 2012, 13:06

'Run barefoot up and down, threatening the flames With bisson rheum; ...'
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

jolan

31st October 2012, 13:07
Thank you GWA and Mamya (how nice to see you x).
Yes, I had the quotation "...."Gertrude has no tears to shed for Old Hamlet, Hecuba's tears drowned in the...."; BUT I was wondering the relevance of putting the ref to Hecuba in the clue. "tears" already forms a part of the clue. Hecuba is totally redundant (in my opinion). It's not even a decent 'misleader' in the context of the clue.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

jolan

31st October 2012, 13:10
... and ab and Ari.
ab: I fully agree, "unecessarily clever" is well put.

Ari, how very poetic of you so early in your mornind. lol! Hope Sandy is, by now, a bad memory and that you are out of danger.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

31st October 2012, 13:15
I think it makes sense, Jolan. It's Hecuba's bisson rheum, isn't it?
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

jolan

31st October 2012, 13:20
Sure enough, Ari! You're spot-on. I'm actually a bit of a Philistine and have had no more that a few very fleeting encounters with The Bard. Oh! The shame of it all!!! I think I've noticed some rheum flowing down my bearded cheeks.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post