CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

25th April 2012, 02:54
You guys across the pond really got your own back on us Brits with all the American references in this crossword. I had to check 18 across on the internet for phone company

Favourite clues: Across. 13, 16, 42, 47(now I know it), 53
Down. 17, 26, 31, 32, 39
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 02:54
Helena is not only part of the three-part theme; it's also a state capital (Montana), as are the three variations.
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 02:56
But the theme is a Brit!
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

les40

25th April 2012, 03:08
That's what I mean aristo, they are all state capitals (there isn't a theme and then variations, it's four matching state capitals)
I have RECA-T for 28 across, so yes, I thought RECART, anagram of all the others (yet again, not one theme word and then three variations, it's just four variations or anagrams of the same letters)
If you look at the preamble again, it gives examples of a theme word and then three linked words.
Manhattan - then three clue words to make up the original theme word
Queens - then three actual Queens

In the crossword, Theme 'A' is 4 state capitals and not one theme word that then links the following three words
And in theme C, it's 4 anagrams and not three anagrams and a theme linked word to connect them.
I'm not trying to be an arse, I enjoyed the crossword thoroughly, but it just didn't seem to be entirely fair with the theme thing.
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 03:13
The directions just say that each theme word has a set of variations of a different kind. The three theme words together form someone's name (do you have that?). One of the three names is varied by anagrams, one by other state capitals, and one (as noted above) according to a pattern you'll see when you list the variations in order.
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

les40

25th April 2012, 03:22
Oh My God, I see the famous woman.

Apologies to aristophanes, I've just got the correct answer for the Miss Piggy clue, I had Bonsai or Bondai for 48 across and not Bonham, I am kicking myself repeatedly, now shut up Les you Dickhead!
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 03:23
I see your point though. Theme B is the only one that has variations that are offshoots (in a way) rather words that are of a similar kind- well, a case could be made for C.
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 03:25
Rather THAN words.
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 03:26
And I too liked the Chihuahua and dog pound clues.
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

les40

25th April 2012, 03:27
Everything has slotted into place except the link with 'B' I have the anagrams and the state capitals but I just can't see the connection with those 4 words in 'B' aristo
30 of 42  -   Report This Post