CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (fromarran)

16th August 2009, 17:55
This week's compiler is Neil Shepherd and there are some fairly dire clues. This is the worst:

14A Genuine sound of wind (4) ?E?L

The two possible asnwers are REEL & REAL but which to choose? I'm erring towards REAL, but I could be wrong.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

suziem

16th August 2009, 18:28
Hi J

Like you I am not sure on this one, but am leaning toward real, as it is 'wind' which is being described by the 'of',so the answer sounds like wind but means genuine, if that makes sense!

Cheers
S
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

16th August 2009, 18:33
Hi John F.A.
I agree with you on both counts,(bad clue and the answer is probably, Real).
- could be reel tho.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

campanilla

16th August 2009, 19:00
Hi John, the answer may be "cell". I remember reading somewhere about thunderstorms and that a storm cell produces the real noise that a storm makes.

Storm cell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A storm cell is an air mass that contains up and down drafts in convective loops, moves and reacts as a single entity, and functions as the smallest unit of a storm-producing system.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

robtherich

16th August 2009, 19:03
I don't think Neil Shepherd is going to be raising his head above the parapet in any hurry...
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

anniec

16th August 2009, 19:15
Its got to ne reel - sound like genuine but means wind as in "wind down " or "wind up" (you can't do pronunciation by email!

I don't think Neil is so bad!
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

16th August 2009, 19:27
It is a bad clue - I think - because it causes confusion, and both answers sort of work.
I'd still go with Real.

If we presume wind rhymes with mind (which we all did?),then;

Genuine = real (sounds like wind(reel)).

7 of 8  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

16th August 2009, 20:16
I must thank campanilla for her contribution, but
the SoS crossword is supposed to be cryptic. Although it is sometimes hard to tell. That answer, although very valid, would fit better with a GK style. Sorry, but I'm going with the majority here and putting in REAL.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post