CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dillon

14th May 2009, 02:20
Clue: Trainer whipped his pony? It's not normal.
Letter pattern that I have : ?H?S?O.

Can anyone help or am I just being thick.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

may

14th May 2009, 03:41
physio?
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

14th May 2009, 10:15
anag of "his pony" without the "n". Somehow the word "normal" represents the letter "n" wich I've never seen before.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

14th May 2009, 10:26
Trevor. You are right - "n" isn't usually used as an abbreviation for normal, its usually "new" or "name". However in chemistry, N means Normal as opposed to M which means Molar,
eg N Hydrochloric Acid. I'm sure you didn't want to know this information really.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

14th May 2009, 10:35
I did actually - the Alchemist - thanks for that.

Also,
"In physics, the normal force F_n\ (or in some books N) is the component, perpendicular to the surface of contact, of the contact force exerted by, for example, the surface of a floor or wall."

I'm off to look up "Molar" now.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

14th May 2009, 10:47
Trevor. Wow. This is getting very technical for this forum. Molar is to do with the gram molecular weight.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

dillon

14th May 2009, 10:52
Thanks, guys. I did have 'physio' but couldn't see the connection. The explanation of 'N' is now clear. Odd, I know but what has 'whipping' to do with 'physio' I have never heard of any physiotherapy using whipping. It has been a very odd crossword all through.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

14th May 2009, 10:58
Hi Dillon
"Whipped" just implies it's an anagram. Like whipped cream - stirred up the letters (without the "n").
Not a great clue, in my opinion.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

the alchemist

14th May 2009, 11:00
The setter is using whipping to indicate it is an anagram, ie whip up the letters of "his pony" after the "n" has be removed.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

trevor

14th May 2009, 11:03
ps. I like your idea of combining whipping and physio. I'd consider getting fit with that kind of regimen.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post