CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

9th May 2009, 21:09
not much you can add to that really,is there.
21 of 47  -   Report This Post

trevor

9th May 2009, 21:15
my thoughts exactly terry, take a bow Campanilla.
22 of 47  -   Report This Post

mr griffin

9th May 2009, 21:15
I don't think most of the people contributing to this thread want strict rules. They would be better called guidelines and would make the forum easier for everyone to use as they wish.
If the subject contains the name of the quiz, then those who want to help can do so and those who don't can move on to the next post.
For crosswords, the paper/title isn't essential but will let you know whether you may be able to help. For example, I know I will not be able to help with Mephisto clues. What is essential is that the full clue, the number of letters and any letters already solved are included in the message, not just DT1234, 16 across, etc. Therefore, as Terry says, Boardlettes probably wouldn't help.
@ JimB. I don't think people are being arrogant or showing elitism, I think they are trying to improve things for everyone.
@ Campanilla. The home page gives the objective of the site :-
Finish your crossword today...
Have you been finding it difficult to finish your crossword? Do you have an elusive clue? Then the crossword solver at Crossword Clue Solver is for you.

Simply tell us what letters you do have and we'll let you know which words fit the bill.

To use our FREE crossword solver just follow the instructions below...

This was the original aim of the site. I have nothing against quizzes appearing in the forum, but I am mainly interested in the crossword side.
23 of 47  -   Report This Post

bobby

9th May 2009, 21:26
Although I am an irregular visitor here may I add my pennyworth to this debate. It would be nice to receive a thank you from those that you help. I have often found this not to be the case.
24 of 47  -   Report This Post

mr griffin

9th May 2009, 21:59
@ JimB. Here's a quote from you getting frustrated yesterday. So its not just us.

JimB
Frank

Come on now, Trevor has already given the answer to this in response to a thread initiated by Oscar earlier today.

JimB
25 of 47  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

9th May 2009, 22:18
I'm sorry but "JimB" was right. The thread started by "Oscar" had enough information in its title to enable "Frank" to have found it easily had s/he tried. It wasn't masked by a meaningless title like so many threads here.
26 of 47  -   Report This Post

campanilla

9th May 2009, 22:44
Well, Mr. Griffin, I do see your point, but things do evolve from an original idea and change comes about, in this case I personally think for the better. The people here are very friendly (if you care to go back through the threads you would be surprised to see just how many nice comments about the friendliness of the contributors there are). Why should people have to apologise before asking a question or be made to feel inferior for not knowing an answer, as happens frequently on AB? Not everyone is a genius or has access to reference books, encyclopedias and the like or even sometimes the knowhow to find things on the internet, which is why we all try to help in whichever way we are able. If a clue is requested, we give clues. If an answer is requested, we give answers. Just what is the harm in that? This is not rocket science or brain surgery and will definitely not have any bearing on world peace. It's just a group of people enjoying themselves in their free time and so, I'm afraid, until "Ash" whoever he/she is comes and tells us that we are not using the site as he/she meant it to be used, I for one, will continue as I have been doing up until now.

Wot say you, Jimbo you've been exceedingly quiet all evening?
27 of 47  -   Report This Post

jimb

9th May 2009, 23:06
Campo, old girl, god bless you, it wasn't you in sunny Spain who won the £113,000,ooo Euromillions jackpot was it? Hey, even if it was'nt, I'd still have the hots for you, errr.. hang on, I think I can hear the wife, err.. oh no, it was just a bump in the night.

Anyway, where was I, oh yes, there seems to be two issues here,

1. The need for good info (number of letters, any already, etc.)

2. Who should, or shouldn't, be allowed to subscribe.

I believe that 1 is O.K. but 2 is unacceptable.

Also, Mr Griffin, you mention my frustration yesterday re Trevors previous answer that should have been picked up by Oscar, Wrong call my friend that was badinage not frustration.

Also, you say,"it's not just "us" - enough said??

JimB (one of them)
28 of 47  -   Report This Post

jonny

9th May 2009, 23:12
Personally, I dont see WHY people are wanting to "improve" the site. As far as I can see, its working pretty well as things are. As the saying goes "If it aint broke, dont fix it!"

I do agree with Trevor's comment, though, "We don't need rules (but we do need common sense)." Surely its common sense, that the more information you give, the more likely you are to receive a helpful/correct reply. Admittedly I havent been around here for very long, but I have always been greeted with polite, helpful and prompt responses from everyone who has taken the effort to read my threads (through the often thick mist of bad typing)!!

In short, i dont see the need for change here, and, if there are sites that do things better than here, then I'm afraid it begs the question "Why are you here in the first place?"

29 of 47  -   Report This Post

campanilla

9th May 2009, 23:13
I'm afraid I really can't divulge information about the lottery, you'll have to draw your own conclusion when you get the postcard from Barbados...
30 of 47  -   Report This Post