CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

whistler

14th November 2023, 10:39
Thanks Drxx, I've got some time this morning so,I'm going to have another bash at it.
81 of 110  -   Report This Post

neophyte

14th November 2023, 15:34
I've got to the stage of a completed grid and almost complete message but can't yet see the 8 regularly spaced cells. Presumably the first letter is in the top row? Is the last as well?

I'm probably being handicapped by being unable to find the second word of the message. I assumed the poet in 'Period poet' is Italian, but if so that seems to lead towards no possible word.

And can someone help with the parsing of 'Fish round jetty'?
82 of 110  -   Report This Post

granama1

14th November 2023, 16:03
Neophyte, if you take the the 3rd letter out of a certain infernal poet, it should work.

Re 'Fish round jetty..' the semi aquatic predator isn't a 'gator' it's the other one and the jetty is just reversed after it to give a fish.

As for the 8 cells, in the end I highlighted all the the 'last word' cells and worked out that the end game must contain them all. The last letter occurs in the top line but that's not the one you want, I don't think.
83 of 110  -   Report This Post

basie

14th November 2023, 19:14
Could someone kindly confirm whether the second letter of the eight is changed and thus becomes one of the "objects"? This is (in my version at least) in the corner of the drawn shape and seems to be problematic in terms of the required patterns.
84 of 110  -   Report This Post

candledave

14th November 2023, 19:45
basie - change the one that gives the right pattern
85 of 110  -   Report This Post

samovar

14th November 2023, 20:52
I am being really slow filling the grid. Could someone please give me a hint for the "everyone in Otago lived a single life" clue ? I am afraid I've got the Poet wrong, as I can't find any words suitable with the letters I have.
Thank you very much.
86 of 110  -   Report This Post

mattrom

14th November 2023, 21:13
Samovar,
Def. is 'in Otago lived a single life', so a New Zealand term. 'Every one', (with extra letter), in 'conjugal union' (3)
87 of 110  -   Report This Post

basie

14th November 2023, 21:23
candledave - Ah! So perhaps the changed letter does not lead to a real word (the 8 letter word) as I had assumed. I'll have another look tomorrow. Thanks
88 of 110  -   Report This Post

samovar

14th November 2023, 21:44
Thanks very much, Mattrom. I thought it worked like that, but I couldn't find the new Zealand "Everyone"
I had the wrong letter from the "poet" clue. Had the wrong "collie" earlier too !
Thanks again.
89 of 110  -   Report This Post

neophyte

14th November 2023, 22:28
Thanks very much Granama (think you also helped me last week). That should see me through.
90 of 110  -   Report This Post