CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aspria

11th November 2023, 10:41
Can anyone provide a hint as to the parsing of the second across clue (In the country)... I was amused to find that one of your contributors finds the clues easy. I certainly don't.
21 of 110  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

11th November 2023, 10:49
“In the country” is dialect (Chambers).

Two unusual words for young sows and kick, reversed, minus a letter.
22 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th November 2023, 14:25
Could somebody please give me a nudge to the "matter added" and "earth between" clues. I have an answer for the former but not the latter. Also, the "we are aware" clue, only works for me if part of the wordplay is reversed and nothing indicates that that is correct.
23 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th November 2023, 14:33
Now got the "matter added" clue.
24 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th November 2023, 14:39
And the "earth" clue - the magic of posting works again.
25 of 110  -   Report This Post

aspria

11th November 2023, 15:17
thanks hotelwhiskey - I'd assumed that was the case but am still in the dark, as I am with the next two. Is it just it me, or are they fiendishly complex?
26 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th November 2023, 15:33
aspria, some of these clues are quite fiendish. There is an extra word in the 3rd across clue and the wordplay to the answer is 5 + 2. In the next across clue the last 3 words are the definition - which I thought was a little oblique to say the least. I haven't a clue what the extra words refer to, but I do understand why eight cells, but not where they are.
27 of 110  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

11th November 2023, 15:33
With apologies, this one’s on the easier side…

The Magpie scale works pretty well - I’d give this a B to C; last week’s a D - and a few times a year - if that - an ‘E’.

Magpie E’s are very wavelength dependent -it’s perfectly possible to have 0 - 1 entries after an hour, at which point, it’s probably not going to fall out.
28 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 15:34
gitto - 'we are aware' is the def and the obvious 1 letter abbrev comes before a 4 letter word for 'is consumed' [minus the extra letter].
aspria - the 4 letter dialect 'young sows' appears quite often but the other one is particularly obscure, I think, it begins with 'y' [and the 2nd letter is extra]. Def is a girl's name - an odd spelling, but it is in Chambers.
29 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th November 2023, 16:56
Thanks drxx, a word for consume is a new one on me,
30 of 110  -   Report This Post