CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

will37

11th November 2023, 22:35
It's puzzling. I've got a full grid apart from one clue ("Earth between..." which, if I've numbered my grid correctly, is 31 down) and I've identified the 8 cells and what to draw.

But, as far as I can see, there's only one letter of the 8 which can be changed and still make a word. Is that it? And why?

I don't understand the final word deriving from the extra letters in this context; nor can I see the relevance of the 9 extra words

I'm hoping for a string of "Aha!" moments tomorrow morning but right now I'm giving up for the night
41 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 23:30
will37 - Two of the nine extra words are in the correct order, the others are anagrams (three of the anagrams duplicate one of the correctly ordered words).
When you make the new word you mention you'll have added something necessary to complete the puzzle (and it's what the last word of the instruction describes).
By the way, there's another change possible (using the same letter) making another new word - possibly an Americanism as it's given in Merriam-Webster. Of course, the preamble simply tells us to 'change a letter' and I just looked for where there was one item missing (the new word created was a nice touch... momentarily).

Chances are you'll have solved the puzzle before you get around to reading this - good luck.
42 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 23:36
...but just in case - 'Earth between furrows' is the def - 'like' is a 2 letter abbrev. and 'rubbish'/muck is 4 letters [with an extra letter].
43 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

12th November 2023, 08:08
I gave up yesterday because I couldn't see the finished product, but now I can and have completed everything other than understanding what the 9 extra words signify,
44 of 110  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

12th November 2023, 08:46
As per drxx , ‘chance variations’ is a slightly exotic way of saying jumbled.

If you anagram your extra words, unlikely but thematic words jump out.
45 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

12th November 2023, 10:39
Thanks hw7 & drxx, all now completely understood and now 100% happy with my finished grid. I am surprised that the separate facets need not be highlighted in some way, but maybe that would be quite difficult. At least a 3 day grid stare-athon was avoided this week.
46 of 110  -   Report This Post

will37

12th November 2023, 14:35
Very many thanks, drxx, for your hints. They helped me get over the line. I realized that the extra words couldn't be pointless and their significance dawned on me when I was cleaning my teeth. (I often find that "Aha!" moments occur when I'm away from the grid and doing something mundane.) It still took some working out - obviously, I can't be more specific here - but I got there in the end.
47 of 110  -   Report This Post

kitsune

12th November 2023, 20:47
drxx @ 43, I read this clue differently. I think it’s “earth between furrows” = four letter word for loose earth (less extra letter) followed be “turned like” where like is “for example”. The definition is the final word.

I understand the nine additional words, the instruction given by the extra letters,
48 of 110  -   Report This Post

kitsune

12th November 2023, 20:50
...however I do not understand the letter change. I do not see how this could relate to the final word of the message given by the superfluous letters, as changing one of there would break symmetry. I don't want to be too explicit but hopefully this gives enough information for someone to give me a final nudge.
49 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th November 2023, 21:17
Not sure I'm following you, kitsune - anything that's changed in one of the central positions would have to be symmetrical, surely?

Are you using what I take to be the def of the 'Earth...' clue as wordplay? If not, we're breaking the clue down in much the same way, using similar words ('as' rather than 'for example' and 'muck'/rubbish'/'loose earth' for the 4 letters beginning with 'd') I didn't bother mentioning the obvious reversal indicator.
50 of 110  -   Report This Post