CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

11th November 2023, 17:26
After reading the preamble carefully, I have the word spelt out, what to draw and the instruction. But am at a loss to which letter to change - at the moment.
31 of 110  -   Report This Post

gitto

11th November 2023, 20:25
Does the finished grid look like a conventional article? (i.e. depending on your point of view, so to speak)
32 of 110  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

11th November 2023, 20:33
For most of this solve I thought this puzzle was rather easy (at least compared to previous weeks). But I've come to a grinding halt at the very end. I believe I have the final eight letters and what they make in the grid, as well as the final instruction, but no idea what the final word of the instruction references.

I could use some help on Across clue:
Sultans...

And down clues:
Many... (I believe I have the answer, but no idea on the parse)
Garland...
33 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 20:34
Yes - taking into account the penetrating vision it's subjected to (which is a little confusing, to say the least).
34 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 20:55
Sultans (is the def) there's a word for 'turtle meat' (8 letters) its 2nd 'a' is extra.
Many-coloured... is the def - 'shed' like a bird, perhaps, but in the US (ref 'Dakota') 4 letters [drop the 3rd] + 3 letters for pasture/'open country'.
'Garland of flowers' is the usual 3 letters + 3 letters for the 'grass' and the def is the bird, not the country (it can be found - via a circuitous route - in Chambers).
35 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 20:59
...('turtle meat') sorry, the 2nd 'a' is removed by wordplay - the extra is the penultimate letter.
36 of 110  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

11th November 2023, 21:09
Many thanks Drxx! Turns out a lot of my struggles were based on mistakes I made elsewhere in the grid. Your advice helped me to narrow in on them. All done now!
37 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 21:10
You'll find the relevant definition for the last word you're wondering about in Chambers, cypherhouse - it's right at the start of one of the entries.
38 of 110  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

11th November 2023, 21:31
My confusion there wasn't so much how that word related to the theme as to what was representing it in the grid. Since at the time I didn't have a correct number of the obvious and was having trouble getting the right perspective.

Kind of nice though now that I've managed to see it!
39 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

11th November 2023, 21:46
Thanks, cypherhouse - I misunderstood (and you'd beaten me to it anyway}.
40 of 110  -   Report This Post