CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

foinaven

13th November 2023, 15:53
i have no idea how to finish, although I have the 'object' drawn and I assume that the 'word spelled out in eight regularly placed cells' must be modified by changing one letter. I presume that we are still 'reading' the 'word' in the same way.

It is the where to go after that I do not understand. I know how the extra words work. It would seem that I have to change nine cells, and it seems obvious (from the end of the instruction) what they are going to represent. I also know how the 'object' works in terms of numerical representation. I was expecting, then, to have to replace six cells symbolically, and, indeed, those six cells look promising. Then the rest of the grid, including some lines, would be erased.

However, there are many ways of doing this, and the 'extra words' do not seem to have anything to do with it.
61 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2023, 15:53
Some extra nudges (should you need them) whistler -

'Was a model' (3 letters) is fairly straightforward but the 4 letter Scots word is quite obscure (looks like a something the French would shout!).

You're dropping a 2 letter abbrev. for 'pole' from your vegetable.

Another archaic spelling, but one that's very close to the more familiar word for the 'toll' (of a bell).
62 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2023, 16:08
I'm not sure I follow you, foinaven - you're only changing one letter, the one mentioned in the preamble (and this makes a non-word of the word in the 'regularly placed cells').
This changed letter, together with others already in the grid give you everything you need to complete the item (and I'm pretty sure we've to keep the lines the preamble tells us to 'draw').
63 of 110  -   Report This Post

williamseal

13th November 2023, 16:44
Thanks drxx (or any other helpful souls). I am way behind (having spent Saturday afternoon t the Emirates) but have now managed the first across with the above hint. Doubtless will come back for more. Is this a difficult one or an easy one

64 of 110  -   Report This Post

foinaven

13th November 2023, 16:53
Does the finished grid represent a 3D 'object' (with the lines drawn) and 'symbols' (the final four letters of the message) which occur in six places, representing a well known physical entity, and nothing else?

65 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2023, 17:09
It has some tough clues, and there are quite a few obscurities in them, williamseal (but it has a neat - if somewhat disorienting - endgame}.

foinaven - yes, a 3D object with the (last word) marking the values on each side.
66 of 110  -   Report This Post

foinaven

13th November 2023, 18:23
Well, I am going to have to give up. I cannot see how changing one of the eight letters which map out the solid object can lead to assigning values to each of the faces.
67 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th November 2023, 18:52
If you know how the extra words work you'll know what each side 'adds up to' - and you're seeing all sides simultaneously because of the way the figure is drawn.
Only one letter resembles (last word) and if you count all incidences of this letter within the 3D object, the number will tally with the object - if you google it, count how many (last word) are on each side.
As I mentioned earlier (#56) you can quickly find the first of these in the least populated side, because only one of the (last word) is in a symmetrical position - and each side must show symmetry for its particular number.

I'm sorry I can't be more revealing - I'm pushing the limit as it is (I think).
68 of 110  -   Report This Post

williamseal

13th November 2023, 18:55
I'd really like to progress and this seems to need me to solve the second across. Is it a girls name with a three-letter word for kick reversed and a letter missing? If so I'd really help a hint for young sows. the only one I can find is a word that also means money and is only four letters.
69 of 110  -   Report This Post

candledave

13th November 2023, 19:05
The answer is a girls name - reverse the sows and a strange word for kick with a letter missing
70 of 110  -   Report This Post