CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

12th November 2023, 21:19
...sorry, I used 'like' not 'as', but it's the same 2 letter abbrev.
51 of 110  -   Report This Post

turast

12th November 2023, 21:25
Did anybody else spot the other possibility for the period poet? I had an ancient Greek epic author without his first letter until I started to fill in the middle area of the grid. As a "cold solve" it made perfect sense.
52 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th November 2023, 21:28
kitsune, I've reread your post and now I see you've taken 'rubbish' as the def - I can't find that def for what I've entered (but Chambers clearly gives the def for my answer - and it matches the first 3 words of the clue).
53 of 110  -   Report This Post

smithsax

12th November 2023, 21:42
turast - yes same for me. It held me up for quite a while as I was convinced it was correct.
54 of 110  -   Report This Post

cmjhutton

12th November 2023, 22:48
I think I know the letter change and how that letter relates to the instruction. However I can’t see the pattern I’d guess I should be expecting when I finish the grid this way. Is that pattern there? Should I just look harder? At the moment the only thing that gives me confidence is the fact that there are the right number of this letter in the grid.

Any pointers much appreciated! Really fun puzzle
55 of 110  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th November 2023, 23:35
Try pencilling a number over each of them - so many of one number, so many of the next number, etc etc.
If you look at the right hand side of the object there's only one of them in a symmetrical position, so you'll know the number to put there and, then you'll know what numbers must go opposite (as opposites must add up to... each time). Symmetry is what you're looking for on each side - it'll help you ignore the distractions.
56 of 110  -   Report This Post

kitsune

13th November 2023, 11:21
drxx @ 50 and 53: I had the wrong answer for the clue “Earth..@ and was fixated on hammering a square peg into a round hole by whatever means necessary. A good sleep and a nice walk have bright clarity and resolution and I fully agree with your reading of the clue.

i have not yet completed the final step but i think I know how it works so look forward to doing so this evening.
57 of 110  -   Report This Post

whistler

13th November 2023, 11:57
I'm still on the solving at present, but I'm making progress. A couple of hints would help.

In the first across clue... is the def. First two or last three? I thought the second word might be an anag. Indicator but now I'm not so sure.

I'm making no progress with Murphy. Some direction would be welcome.

Likewise Toll long ago.... assuming penultimate word is an indicator but not sure where to apply it.

Many thanks, all.
58 of 110  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th November 2023, 12:17
Hi Whistler,

"Once cultivated..." is the definition

"Murphy..." is a shorter version of its meaning in Chambers and the definition is "armadillo"

"Toll long .." is 7 letter "disheartened wiseacre" (minus middle letter) but you also have subtract the extra letter
59 of 110  -   Report This Post

whistler

13th November 2023, 14:24
Thanks, Brendan. That led to a burst of activity; but as yet fruitless. I have some ideas but a meaningful final word seems to elude me. I'll put it aside and come back to it later.
60 of 110  -   Report This Post