CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

the joker

12th July 2011, 18:48
Ah Pipesmoker.
You have revealed all to me,regarding the people who use two fingers to indicate quotation marks.
I had always taken offence,thinking they were indicating some other meaning to me.Rather rude (I believe).
61 of 203  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

12th July 2011, 18:59
Hello, Joker,

I fear you may have been correct in your assumption. The inverted commas are done with (sort of) inverted fingers. Those with upright digits, are expressing an opinion. A suitable response is to finger one's nose or stick one's tongue out, blowing a raspberry if the occasion demands.

Hope you are well.

P
62 of 203  -   Report This Post

the joker

12th July 2011, 19:05
Yes I am well,thank you Pipesmoker.
The frequency of the gesticulation appears to be increasing these days.Especially when I am driving.
I find the best retort is to blow a kiss to the offender.
TJ
63 of 203  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

12th July 2011, 19:11
Hi you two
There's always trouble when you two get together - the tears of laughter are running down my face!
Chhers
Julie
64 of 203  -   Report This Post

susan

12th July 2011, 19:51
Hi Wendy, just noticed your thread about the terrible crime of apostrophe abuse. The advice in Eats, Shoots and Leaves is to keep a bottle of Tippex in your pocket so when you're out and about, as soon as you spot a sign that needs a little adjustment, you can make your mark when no-one's looking and be on your merry way knowing you've made the world a slightly better place.

Unfortunately, whenever I look for the Tippex in my house it's either missing or someone's left the lid off and it's gone all crumbly. What a rubbish excuse! The reason I don't carry Tippex is, I'm a coward. The greengrocer might come out of his shop and bop me!
65 of 203  -   Report This Post

pastille

12th July 2011, 20:59
Hi just in...

A busy day with the polis and hospital visits.

Wendy...I must explain...I do not want you to think of me as a drama queen...(but....... then again I would like that!)

It was my shed they were "dusting down" not my veggies.

A spate of break ins and vandalism.

This time last year around 7 sheds burnt down ,greenhouses smashed and much carnage.

And also people actually do steal vegs ect.

I know bunnies are smart and I don't mind sharing my peas/lettuce/pak chio or even berries for the birdies.

But our feathered or furry friends can not dig up tatties!

The local polis are keen to try and nip this in the bud! Not the veggie stealing, the vandalism.

Usually my Tea Hut( I also have a small tool hut, greenhouse and superbly knitted lean to...available from mamyasknittedglories.co.uk, has nothing of real worth in it, but, my mum had gave me a present of a superduper double gas ring with a toasting bit!!!

I only took it up last week!!!

Never used!!!

Gone!!!

Abuse of Explanation marks!!!!!

Must go eat and drink some wine...only for medicinal purposes, you understand.

p@x

ps Julie...is it the dry boke?

66 of 203  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

12th July 2011, 21:12
Hope they catch the b@@@@@@s pastille!
67 of 203  -   Report This Post

tonyw

12th July 2011, 21:17
Don't let the bastards get to you Pastille,you are better than them.There are many things that they can't take away.
68 of 203  -   Report This Post

wendy

12th July 2011, 21:19
Pastille,

So sorry that I was somewhat flippant regarding the obvious acts of vandalism, I hadn't realised quite what had taken place.

I live in the Channel Islands and during the war we were occupied (slightly before I was born) and the Russian prisoners were starving and used to knock at our back door begging for food.

Some resorted to stealing the mangolds (cow fodder) and eating them raw.

Stealing for food when one is starving is one thing, but mindlessly destroying something one has worked on (probably in your case spoken to!!!!!!!) is too horrible to contemplate.

What has gone wrong with our society nowadays that people needlessly smash someone else's property?

Sorry, did my best with lots of exclamation marks but too serious to be too silly.
69 of 203  -   Report This Post

terry as was

12th July 2011, 21:19
Yeah,like her small tool. Amazing.
70 of 203  -   Report This Post