CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

francis

8th July 2011, 16:17
yes, sallyw, I completely agree with you. It is just bad manners to accept help without acknowledging it.
As far as punctuation is concerned I suppose all of you have read the very amusing Eats, Shoots and Leaves
11 of 203  -   Report This Post

chips

8th July 2011, 16:32
Sally, you gave me a laugh, unintentionally - I assume your 'Shakespeares' time' was a typing error?!
12 of 203  -   Report This Post

the joker

8th July 2011, 16:35
There is a society known as the Apostrophe Protection Society.
You can find it on the web.
13 of 203  -   Report This Post

wendy

8th July 2011, 18:25
I think Eats, Shoots and Leaves should be compulsory reading for everyone! I see she writes for SAGA magazine now. (When I was in the travel industry, we used to call them SEND A GRANNY AWAY but now I'm a wrinkly myself, I love their magazines.

Have looked at The Joker's site which is here:

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

I tried to register and page wouldn't load. Drat, damn and blast.
14 of 203  -   Report This Post

calliewag

8th July 2011, 18:27
There's also a sentence with the word 'had' eight consecutive times:
'Where John had had 'had', Tom had had 'had had'. 'Had had' had had the teachers' approval.' It doesn't addd anything to the apostrophe argument,just a bit of fun.(and it's useful to show the difference between the two tenses).
15 of 203  -   Report This Post

calliewag

8th July 2011, 18:29
Actually I meant to type 'teacher's', but it makes sense either way.
16 of 203  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

8th July 2011, 18:36
aristophanes, you certainly have, and Chips, after I posted I realised whatI'd done, and hoped no one would notice. Maybe you should change your name to hawkwye! ;0)
17 of 203  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

8th July 2011, 18:38
Wendy I was told Saga stood for sexually active grandparents abroad, but that might not be true!
18 of 203  -   Report This Post

chips

8th July 2011, 18:49
Sallyw - maybe even Hawkeye?
19 of 203  -   Report This Post

bernie

8th July 2011, 18:51
5 consecutive "ANDs"
The owner of the ROSE AND CROWN pub had a new sign painted for his pub. On completing the job, the sign writer asked the owner for his opinion. The owner replied, "It's okay, but I would like bigger spaces, between ROSE and AND, and AND and CROWN."
20 of 203  -   Report This Post