CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

samovar

22nd July 2018, 17:29
And I AM kicking myself !
61 of 169  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

22nd July 2018, 18:20
I got 32 in the end with a very big hint from Dryden. Normally this type of clue needs letters towards and back-solving. How does that work with this crossword, particularly given the number of possible entries of the unclued second letter in the final grid?
62 of 169  -   Report This Post

greengage

22nd July 2018, 18:23
Have got most of the grid but just can't see 24D, any hints, please?
63 of 169  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

22nd July 2018, 18:26
S+HOG
64 of 169  -   Report This Post

meursault

22nd July 2018, 18:46
Hi Woodlouse. Re 32A
Not only was one of the definitions quite arcane, but there was no wordplay to assist, and then there was the debate of whether this was noun or adjective. I suppose that's the setter's prerogative. If I have one criticism of this puzzle, a good puzzle, it is that there were few alternative routes. It seemed that everyone came up against the same obstacle. Which is okay in some contexts, to bottleneck solvers, oblige them all to solve a particular problem. On the other hand, I think it would have been clever if the setter had left alternatives. Though maybe that was the case and we've all been too stupid to see them...
65 of 169  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

22nd July 2018, 18:59
2018 has been a vintage year for The Listener.
66 of 169  -   Report This Post

durban

22nd July 2018, 19:23
Surely, I thought, not many will know THAT, so came excitedly galloping to bring you the good news from 17 ac (final), only to find you all long ago left Aix and over the horizon, leaving me with a still-threadbare NW corner. A very salutary experience, this Listener forum!
67 of 169  -   Report This Post

williamseal

22nd July 2018, 19:37
Could anyone give this poor solver a hint as to how the initial jumble of entries should work? I have cold solved a number of clues and have idea of where it is all heading but simply can't get started. I'd like to make some progress as its a nice evening here in Norfolk and my wife is sitting in the garden before coming in to watch Poldark. Many thanks and appreciation for any reply.
68 of 169  -   Report This Post

samovar

22nd July 2018, 19:38
When it comes to 17 Across, I have suddenly realised that I haven't done it, and am quite bemused by it. I thought it was going to be m**a, but can't work it out. Would welcome a strong hint !
Thanks.
69 of 169  -   Report This Post

samovar

22nd July 2018, 19:49
Sorry, forgot to put the clue for 17. Extra word in brackets.
Extremely minute and (flavourless) nuts. (4).
70 of 169  -   Report This Post