CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

foinaven

21st July 2018, 20:01
Surely the most terrifying poem in the English language, if not the greatest.
21 of 169  -   Report This Post

cockie

21st July 2018, 20:25
I must be unusually dim this weekend. I have all the DOWNS bar one (24) and most of the ACROSSES (missing 1,14,29,32,40 and 43). Despite these I have the two messages and the poem (I agree about its excellence: I first came across it in connection with The Turn of the Screw (Britten, not James). I've even carried out the instruction, although the first word of the new 1D escapes me. However I can't find the 34 letters anywhere. There must be an F and a double L, but none of these useful letters is apparent. And I'm mystified by remarks - doubtless true - about unches in the ACROSSES being in the same place before and after. I don't even have the same letters before and after. As I say, unusually din. What am I missing? The "after" words seem unconnected to the "befores".
22 of 169  -   Report This Post

meursault

21st July 2018, 20:44
Hi Cockie, lines 1 & 3 both have 34 letters. The preamble indicates line 1.
23 of 169  -   Report This Post

cockie

21st July 2018, 21:11
Ah! Stupid of me to trust OED. Still can't find the first word though (for the first time). I assume it starts in the centre, but the 5th and 6th letters indicate I have something wrong. More gazing needed. I still don't see how to complete the ACROSSES where there is more than one possibility for forming real words.
24 of 169  -   Report This Post

samovar

21st July 2018, 21:21
Getting on very well (for me!), but would very much appreciate hints for :
One smelly abelia shrub that's good in row.
Last couples married in Aberdeen and Glasgow presently seen there.
Some aged smokies in Arbroath fish stalls.

Thanks.
25 of 169  -   Report This Post

buzzb

21st July 2018, 21:33
Definitions are: row (as a verb), presently seen there, and fish.
26 of 169  -   Report This Post

samovar

21st July 2018, 22:00
Thank you very much, Buzzb.
27 of 169  -   Report This Post

cockie

22nd July 2018, 08:59
Rather than invite too-helpful comments here I would welcome an exchange of thoughts off line about some of this puzzle. Would someone who can be bothered email me at mrbaddie@btinternet.com?
28 of 169  -   Report This Post

dryden

22nd July 2018, 09:32
Cockie, re your comment at #24, once the instruction from the across clues has been carried out, and appropriate changes to 1d made, there are not any ambiguities. Before following that instruction there are many ambiguities, of course. I had about 60 empty cells, including an entire entry, though it's possible that some of those 60 could have been filled if I had studied them more closely - it was a bit like solving a sudoku where each cell in a row could be any of five digits.

I was the one who raised the issue of letters in unchecked cells being the same in the initial and final grids. I presumed too much in some cases. I retracted what I said after Keepatit queried me. Sorry if my retraction wasn't clear.
29 of 169  -   Report This Post

macky

22nd July 2018, 09:48
All done but for final entry for forty across . Is it midi or mini . Thanks .
30 of 169  -   Report This Post