CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gem94

13th November 2017, 17:01
There is only one K and it is not a clash
71 of 99  -   Report This Post

ethik

13th November 2017, 19:26
SOS! 32d help needed.
72 of 99  -   Report This Post

meursault

13th November 2017, 19:42
Ethik, 'pilot' is the extra word. G(erman) followed by S (shortened is) and an upturned 3 letters representing the war-god. There seem to be all sorts of variations of the latter, but I'm pretty sure my interpretation is correct, because the whole thing is something a fighter pilot might need in a tight turn. The whole thing is found in TCD under G.
73 of 99  -   Report This Post

ethik

13th November 2017, 19:46
I can see now you are right. Thanks - a life-saver!
74 of 99  -   Report This Post

smithsax

13th November 2017, 22:43
Have been away for the weekend so only got to this one this evening. A real challenge but I think I am there. One slight issue. I can draw a closed outline through the omitted letters which gives a satisfying equlilateral shape and confirms the lateral thinking but I can’t see how it “spells a related phrase”. Quite late now and after 3 hours of hard slog I am a bit tired. It may jump out at me in the morning.
Also I can’t see the relevance of the title. I don’t quite buy the explanation earlier in the thread.
Nonetheless I agree this is one of the best puzzles this year.
75 of 99  -   Report This Post

gem94

13th November 2017, 23:14
It is the omitted letters which spell the phrase, rather than the full outline
76 of 99  -   Report This Post

dryden

14th November 2017, 06:36
Smithsax, one or two solvers appear to have been a bit perplexed by this. A minor adjustment to the relevant sentence of the preamble would have made it clearer: "...through the omitted letters, which spell a related phrase.
The phrase spelled by the omitted letters relates to a puzzle posed by an explorer.
77 of 99  -   Report This Post

smithsax

14th November 2017, 08:23
Thanks dryden. I saw it straight away this morning as I suspected I might. Perhaps the large whisky to celebrate completing the grid fill was a bad idea.
I am still pondering the relevance of the title. Such a clever puzzle must have cleverer link to the title than just disputed ownership of a concept.
I will continue to think laterally.
78 of 99  -   Report This Post

crates

14th November 2017, 09:27
Think I should add my satisfaction with this puzzle. Nice degree of difficulty in some clues and omitted words. Pleasant conclusion with various elements involved. Suspect the truth about origin of theme will remain obscure. The shorter named protagonist first to publish the concept under the title shown in omitted letters and the longer named given credit for how it appears in final grid. (Plagiarism claims muddy the water further). Presume like others unable to think of alternative reason for the title other than that mentioned.
79 of 99  -   Report This Post

charlesberg

14th November 2017, 15:20
After much hair pulling (and a much less actual work than I should have been doing!) I have a nearly full grid and the end game sussed. Very enjoyable puzzle with lots of connecting steps which help solve each other. I have however hit a wall as did s_pugh (albeit two days earlier!) in that I cannot parse 8d. I have all the checked letters and two possible answers but cannot link either to the clue. A final nudge would be greatly appreciated.
80 of 99  -   Report This Post