CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

xij

13th November 2017, 08:42
Hi Dryden. I meant putting a diagonal line through each individual missing letter, a bit like highlighting. I suppose though, that putting a line through the whole lot, forming the square, does confirm the first phrase, 4 words, 21 letters, which would appear if the dots were reset as the clashes.
I too had boll for 21, which held me up for a while.
61 of 99  -   Report This Post

orson

13th November 2017, 10:55
I've got a full grid but I'm failing to find the two instructions. Are they side by side or one after the other?

The first set of letters I've got from extra words is ER, SY, CA, EW... and no words seem to be appearing there! (the SY might be RH).
62 of 99  -   Report This Post

orson

13th November 2017, 11:12
Some words are appearing later on now and I see the instructions will be one after the other. Even so, my first few letters still don't suggest anything.
63 of 99  -   Report This Post

gem94

13th November 2017, 11:33
Just a nudge, but the second pair is neither of those you suggest.
64 of 99  -   Report This Post

dryden

13th November 2017, 12:00
If it's any help, 6a is partly a homophone clue, so 'heard' is necessary to the clue. The correct choice of extra word will give you a letter pair that will make a seven-letter word combined with all but one of your other letters.
65 of 99  -   Report This Post

orson

13th November 2017, 12:58
Thanks, gem and dryden; I shall give 6a some more thought but sailor = AB and ship = SAIL (as verbs each) did seem to fit.
66 of 99  -   Report This Post

crates

13th November 2017, 13:05
Orson - you need 'heard' as 'sail' in answer is spelt differently
67 of 99  -   Report This Post

orson

13th November 2017, 13:39
Much obliged, crates. It's a good job I'm doing the puzzle in rough copy first. I wish the Listener had as much space as the Inquisitor in the revamped i newspaper as I find the need to annotate the clues.
68 of 99  -   Report This Post

crates

13th November 2017, 13:48
Yeah. Although I don't submit, I find I have to take a copy more often these days to work on. Anyone who sees my pristine finished copy in the paper must think I'm a genius! (He worked out all those difficult long anagrams in his head!)
69 of 99  -   Report This Post

orson

13th November 2017, 16:40
I've done it all, except that I have a feeling I should have another K in the grid in order to get a unique solution. I only have one and that is where there is a clash.
70 of 99  -   Report This Post