CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crucifer

12th November 2017, 21:43
21 is not blab, meursault
51 of 99  -   Report This Post

simond9x

12th November 2017, 21:50
Hi, relatively new to Listeners and I'm desperately trying not to see any of the previous posts on here so no spoilers please in relation to my question. I've got myself in a bit of a bugger's muddle with 39A. I already have 29D (which gives me a crosser of 'A'). I also have the first and fourth letters of 31D ('L' and 'D'). So, 39A? I have a 2 letter word for 'alas' which would be 2/3 of an archaic word for a potato when reversed. So, I seem to have got all elements of the clue with one missing letter. But if I write in the 3 letter potato word, there is no 4 letter word for 31D that would fit. I'm fairly sure my 31, 41 and 39 are correct. Can anyone 'nudge' me in the right direction please? Sorry if the above is all a bit vague but trying not to include spoilers.
52 of 99  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th November 2017, 21:53
Does it have to be Yes/No answers ? Actually I have BULB...
53 of 99  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th November 2017, 21:57
31 is a name. It's the other of the clues with wordplay only. If you've solved 1D, just look up on wiki and you'll find 31.
54 of 99  -   Report This Post

crucifer

12th November 2017, 21:58
31 down is one of the two undefined clues. What do you have for 1 down? Put them together and consult a search engine
55 of 99  -   Report This Post

simond9x

12th November 2017, 22:02
Thanks guys. I don't yet have 1D but I always keep forgetting to check back on the preamble so I'd forgotten to expect some clashes. Lesson learned!
56 of 99  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

12th November 2017, 22:06
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had BLAB, but the help given has resolved 21 and 28 for me now - many thanks.

I've also worked out how the phrase relating to the final resolution of the end game is represented, and identified the other non-clashing cells. Amazing what a cup of tea can do.

Simond9x, you have three correct letters at 31dn and the answer is not a word but a thematic name - well, loosely thematic, as I don't think that he and his antagonist actually devised either of the two featured thematic puzzles. The clue is a stinker.

The title is still a mystery though.
57 of 99  -   Report This Post

simond9x

12th November 2017, 22:08
Sorry (again), just realised what you meant so will look out for it. But it has reminded me to also look out for clashes.
58 of 99  -   Report This Post

xij

12th November 2017, 22:53
As regards the title, my assumption is that 31d was a naughty man who claimed some puzzles as “his”, even though they weren’t. 1d hated him because he claimed one of his puzzles was “his”.
I am also assuming that all we have to do now is put a diagonal line through the missing letters.
59 of 99  -   Report This Post

dryden

13th November 2017, 05:44
xij, I may have misunderstood you, but I don't see how one can draw a diagonal line through the missing letters since they form part of a square.

Interesting that some solvers entered BLAB for 21d. That increases my list of possible answers by a third. Others are BOLL, BULK and the correct one, BULB. I also had an incorrect choice at first. It would have been better in my opinion if the setter had given a more specific definition that eliminated the wrong choices.

That's my only minor niggle. It's an excellent, challenging puzzle with some superb clues. For me it's one of the best puzzles this year.
60 of 99  -   Report This Post