CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor

13th June 2012, 13:22
'Quiz? What quiz?' ha-ha, very good.
A (cockney) friend of mine observed, just yesterday, that i can 'sometimes act like a right Jeremy'.
i think it is splendid the way the English language keeps evolving.
121 of 189  -   Report This Post

lynette

13th June 2012, 13:50
Would that be:-
Jeremy Hardy = Tardy,
Jeremy Kyle = Cruciverbalophile,
Jeremy Paxman = Axeman,
or Jeremy Vine = Fine,
I wonder, Trevor?
122 of 189  -   Report This Post

archstanton

13th June 2012, 14:32
Well I’m glad that we seem to have got to the bottom of this. I personally don’t have a problem with a quiz setter accepting amendments to previously submitted answers provided that it is purely as a result of the entrant realising that he/she has made an error (although I’m sure some quiz setters would not accept any such amendments). What everyone seems to be agreeing as being wholly unacceptable is for a quiz setter to inform an entrant of any errors in his/her answers before the deadline and then accepting revisions to those answers. That is just plain wrong.

I still don’t see how announcing that a fully correct set of answers has been submitted in advance of the deadline can do anything other than reduce further sales of the quiz. That is surely simple common sense. And whether or not it arises as a result of banter etc on a site such as this is totally irrelevant - it will still reduce sales to some extent.

Greedy Kite – re your question about quizzes and crosswords. I find it hard to believe that anyone could win a crossword without getting all the answers correct. After all, you know the number of letters in any particular answer and some of those letters as a result of answers to other clues. So there are only a finite number of possible answers from say Chambers that fit the pattern. But for a quiz question you may have no idea of the number of letters in the answer and if the theme of the quiz is suitably vague then it may be the case that nobody solves that particular clue. So while some quizzes (probably the majority) are won with a score of 100% there are others where a lower score will suffice. For example, a couple of years ago a very hard ditloid quiz was won with a score of 111 out of 125 with second place scoring less than 100. I therefore contend there is certainly a difference between crosswords and quizzes in this respect and hence leaving a quiz answer blank does not necessarily mean you won’t win the quiz.
123 of 189  -   Report This Post

lynette

13th June 2012, 14:55
ArchStanton. I'm sorry to see that you lack the good grace to accept the setter's apology and to accept that his operation does not 'stink'.
124 of 189  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

13th June 2012, 16:01
sadhillsexton - that's brilliant!!! However did you find them all without a search facility?
126 of 189  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

13th June 2012, 16:03
Ah! I see you googled him/her - still brilliant!!
127 of 189  -   Report This Post

trevor

13th June 2012, 16:39
Lynette, i'm quite sure he meant that i am a complete CUNning prankster - just like Jeremy Beadle was.
128 of 189  -   Report This Post

pastille

13th June 2012, 17:19
Lunettes...that a big word for Jeremy Kyle!

I had always thought it was Jeremy Kyle= Vile.

my favourite from years ago...was

he is a bit Eddie... As in Waring..
129 of 189  -   Report This Post

archstanton

13th June 2012, 17:28
Lynette – did you actually read the first paragraph of my last post? If so you will see that I’ve agreed with the quiz setter so clearly now accept that his operation does not stink.

SadHillSexton – where in the posts that you cite do I rail about people seeking answers? I rail about people asking for answers when quizzes have only recently been issued and have months left to run because it only damages sales of the quiz. I rail about people asking for answers when the quiz setter has requested ‘no asking on sites like this’, ie people who are effectively cheating. I also rail about people who ask dozens of questions from a quiz and usually try to disguise the fact by doing it on a drip drip drip basis of two or three at a time over many days. I do not rail about people asking a couple of questions about a week before the answers need to be posted as per my Fiji post. So sudokolover, I’m afraid that SadHillSexton’s post is anything but brilliant.
130 of 189  -   Report This Post