CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

macmillanquizzer

13th June 2012, 00:32
Dear ArchStanton,
I'm sorry that my over-enthusiasm in bantering with a couple of my previous winners to see which of them would submit the first correct entry has caused you so much angst.
I am indeed guilty of telling just two of them how many errors they made in their inital entries in order to stimulate the competition for the accolade of submitting the first correct entry (as is evident from the earlier posts in this thread). Now this is over (and there was no prize for it), I do not intend to look at any of the other entries I receive as they come in, as is my normal practice.

I am, however, highly conscious of the fact that despite receiving around 90 correct entries for each of my quizzes, there are sadly a very high number which fall short because of simple spelling/typographical errors. It really upsets me to think of all the effort people have made to solve the clues only to be let down by a simple typo.
I therefore often warn entrants to check their entries most thoroughly and make it clear that I'm happy to accept any amendments which people wish to make to their entries up until the closing date.

I'm happy to concede that it would be better to place this advice on all the printed copies and am happy to commit to doing this in future.

I should add that I happily accept amendments from anybody, whatever their medium of submission, so there is no question of the postal entrants being at a disadvantage compared to anyone else as you seem to believe is the case. This distinction is in any case blurred by the fact that some people who receive copies by email choose to submit their entries by post, and some who receive their copies by post choose to submit their answers by email!

In conclusion, I will not place the entries from the two persons concerned into the draw for the prizes, and will offer them compensation at my own expense as this is not their fault. I can assure everyone that all other entrants to this quiz will be treated on a completely equal footing.

I hope that this has now allayed all your fears about the propriety of my 'operation'.
111 of 189  -   Report This Post

macmillanquizzer

13th June 2012, 00:35
Rusty,
I have never, and will never 'come on this thread and give hints and tips to certain participants'.
Please read my previous post in response to ArchStanton.
112 of 189  -   Report This Post

mamya

13th June 2012, 00:40
Rusty - I think you have misquoted me, although I agreed with some of what Arch said and waited for clarification, I have nothing but the utmost belief in Richard's dedication and integrity in this regard. If any slight lapses have been made they have been done with enthusiasm and all good intentions.
113 of 189  -   Report This Post

lynette

13th June 2012, 00:43
Rusty, it is impossible to 'come on this thread and give tips and hints to certain participants' because anything posted on the thread can be read by anybody and not just 'certain participants'. Nobody has any control over, or knowledge of, who reads ant thread on this site....
114 of 189  -   Report This Post

rusty

13th June 2012, 00:48
Setter, in your second sentence in your last post you acknowledge helping participants. Mamya, I apologise for involving you.
115 of 189  -   Report This Post

lynette

13th June 2012, 01:05
Rusty, I think the setter's response to ArchStanton fairly settles the issue.
116 of 189  -   Report This Post

pastille

13th June 2012, 03:03
Hello...posting at this ridulous time because I could not sleep...

I am concerned about this "upset".

I am perceiving rightly or wrongly some people might think there is a bit of a clique because certain people were " highlighted" within some clues.

To me it was just Mr Mcquizzy thanking people for their support.

This is a charity quiz...please just let's enjoy the great work he has put in to this , and let him enjoy his well deserved holiday.

Btb if I do win...I will donate my prize to the McMillan fund...

yeh like I am going to win.

X
117 of 189  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

13th June 2012, 08:11
Following all the discussion here on the fairness or unfairness of a detail in Richard's procedure, I feel I can only go along with Mrs T. and withdraw from the contest vountarily. I do not expect any kind of "compensation".I only know the error that was made, if we want to call it that,was made bona fide by all concerned. I accept the criticism made by Arch Stanton: I did wonder myself about how others might react.Possibly, being new to the computer world, I over-estimated how many participants would be using e-mails to correspond -- although, as Richard points out, his offer was open to everyone.If the comparison with the teaching profession is allowed, it reminds me of just how difficult it is for an organizer to be fair to everybody,and to be perceived as such too,when decisions have to be taken spontaneously.The modern tendency to expect every detail to be laid down from the beginning in a form that a lawyer can accept reflects indeed a deep feeling for justice; on the other hand it is regrettable, in my opinion, because it could deter anyone from ever taking on the responsibility of fund-raising for fear not only of the workload involved but also of possible accusations of unfairness.I must say the way in which Richard has reacted here once again in a spirit of absolute honesty and transparency commends my admiration.So let it be: I wish all others as much fun as Mrs T & I obviously had. And above all this democratic "ironing out" of a problem should not discourage a single person from taking part & contributing generously, now & in the future.
Just one question I still have (but not so important): is there really an essential difference between a quiz & a crossword puzzle in competitions, as "Keenquizzer" (I hope I've got the name right)suggesyted in his posting?
Forgive me the length of my response, but I felt this was the only way I could "clear my name", and above all Richard's, too.
I sincerely hope no hard feelings are left behind: that would be a pity.
See you all again soon! And have a good holiday, Richard: you certainly deseve it!
gk
118 of 189  -   Report This Post

trevor

13th June 2012, 12:38
Wow! MacMillonGate and shades of Leveson Inquiry.
I hope it won't deter Mr McQuzzy from joining in on this forum.
i've barely looked at the quiz for a couple of days, still have 5 to go, 5 which are driving me up the bleedin' wall.
well done Mrs T and GK and of course, Richard for another great set of clues.
119 of 189  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

13th June 2012, 12:54
Lol, thanks trevor and good luck with finishing the quiz. In keeping with the spirit of Leveson, I would like to say that I don't remember if I ever received any emails, or if I've even heard of MacMillan. Quiz? What quiz? (btw Jeremy Hunt is my MP).
Seriously though, hopefully everyone is happy with Mr MacQ's responses and talk can return to the quiz itself.
120 of 189  -   Report This Post