CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ab

9th February 2012, 09:45
Re post 88 Crepitate ( to rattle, crackle) - pit (mine)?
91 of 111  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th February 2012, 10:41
Thanks AB.

Ran that very thing through Chambers Word Wizard anagram solver quite some time ago & got zip. Apparently it's case-sensitive.

OK, that clarifies it somewhat.
RATTLE = CREPITATE
Throw (def) = CREPITATE = CREATE, delete PIT

The remainder of the clue still baffles me.
I hope this isn't the onset of senility.
92 of 111  -   Report This Post

ab

9th February 2012, 10:53
Read it as - "Throw one's toys out the pram" - definition (have tantrum, "create"), Rattle? (distractor-reference to toys from pram- crepitate ) not mine (distractor not possessive but colliery) - create?
93 of 111  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th February 2012, 11:05
Thanks AB.
Finally I get it, including the earlier reference to the intransitive form.

Tough day at work, & way past my bedtime.

MaƱana.
94 of 111  -   Report This Post

les40

13th February 2012, 12:40
Hiya all,

Here is February "Joint Effort" Crossword with the Solution Page.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57742443/Forum%20Crossword%20Feb%20With%20Solutuion.pdf

Hope you had fun,

Les40
95 of 111  -   Report This Post

rosalind

13th February 2012, 13:26
At last I can stop pondering 14 ac!
96 of 111  -   Report This Post

wendy

13th February 2012, 14:15
....and suddenly the light dawns! If I hadn't have had FREELANCE DISTRIBUTION at 27A (which I didn't understand anyway!!) I think I'd have finished.

But I didn't.

Well done to everyone, but particularly Les40 who kept me up well into the wee hours on 2 occasions.

Sending you 2 virtual hugs - one to say thanks for the Feb Joint Effort and the other to make sure you're already working on the March one!

97 of 111  -   Report This Post

helenb

13th February 2012, 16:10
Thanks Les40 for the solution - I was beginning to think I had missed it, it was a fantastic challenge - I thought I still had three to do but see where I went wrong now so would never have made it. Looking forward to the next one - I would love to think I was clever enough to be part of the 'joint effort' but the standard of the clues is far too high! Well done to all concerned.
98 of 111  -   Report This Post

les40

13th February 2012, 18:25
Thanks Wendy and Helen.

Wendy - if I tell people that I've been keeping you up at night and we've been hugging, you'll end up with a reputation like pastille (Ha ha)

Helen - Don't be shy with wanting to enter the "Joint Effort" I can send you a couple of words and you send back to me an idea of a clue with what you would like it to run like, and between us we can build a workable and crafty bit of wordplay via personal feedback.

NB: I have already prepared the March grid and it's got a wee twist to it, I will be asking for volunteer involvement again on March 1st.

Thanks, Les40
99 of 111  -   Report This Post

wendy

13th February 2012, 18:55
Helenb,

It's me who's the weakest link here and even I'm having a go at it. If I can, so can you.

Come on - give it a shot!
100 of 111  -   Report This Post