CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wendy

7th February 2012, 22:55
Still 7 left to do. If I'm on the right track, I don't think the answer to 24 down is actually a proper word, is it?

Off to bed now, have to swim at 07.30
41 of 111  -   Report This Post

lionheart

7th February 2012, 23:20
Wendy...re 24d, I had the same thought but it seems it's an alternative spelling. I'm certainly used to seeing it with an extra couple of letters in it. I know Les uses the same software as I do which suggests words for the grid so presumably it does exist ;)
42 of 111  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

7th February 2012, 23:21
It does -- Chambers says so.
43 of 111  -   Report This Post

pastille

8th February 2012, 01:29
Bugger...I think I will actually fOrk out for a "CHAMBERS" ...
44 of 111  -   Report This Post

syzygy

8th February 2012, 05:53
The discussion about 29A has me flummoxed.
Have several words that will fit, but can't figure the wordplay.
Verb or noun? Is the first letter "C"?
If not then I've messed up 27D, which seems fine from the crosses & is basically an oxymoron.
45 of 111  -   Report This Post

wendy

8th February 2012, 07:57
Syzzy, I think I've got the same as you for 27D which would be an oxymoron. My 29d starts with a C too,but I don't have the answer!

Yet
46 of 111  -   Report This Post

wendy

8th February 2012, 08:02
Am late for my swim - it's all Les40's fault! (wink)

re 29A the only word I fancy is one which could mean the purchase of cough medicine.
47 of 111  -   Report This Post

les40

8th February 2012, 08:24
Oh Wendy, don't let me hold you up from your swimming,
I hear Pastille likes to tackle a few "lengths" first thing in the morning too!!! (Double wink)

Back after 8 tonight, until then, Bye
48 of 111  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th February 2012, 12:42
If you look at previous postings, esp. from Aristo + my replies, I think it's now pretty easy:the expression is more often completed with " a fuss", and the "red herring" in the clue is "mine": not possessive pronoun but noun > synonym! Hope Ixion isn't mad with me, but it literally kept me awake for hours,too! The hint for the complete 9-letter word is also contained within the clue!Don't get into a tantrum like the baby described: actually it's easy, of course, when you see it --- that's why I can't be annoyed with the setter in the end!
49 of 111  -   Report This Post

wendy

8th February 2012, 13:51
Thanks GK. From the first part of your advice, I do have the answer but still can't see the pesky mine thing.

Have to admit, am totally stuck and will be out for rest of day.

Wish I could take it with me but not a good idea when driving really!

Good luck everyone else - well done Les!
50 of 111  -   Report This Post