CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lionheart

8th February 2012, 21:06
aha...cheers Les. I'd not known it used to mean that. I must admit the cryptic bit still has me stumped :(
71 of 111  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th February 2012, 21:10
Aristo

How does your 1D? work(clever defn part by the way)...is the 2nd bit a word(loosely) for dated reversed?

Cheers

ixion
72 of 111  -   Report This Post

les40

8th February 2012, 21:44
Hiya ixion,

a great choice of word by aristo, think of a phrase that would be used in a quite loose or cavalier way, usually (in my experience) used by the younger generation to mean dating as in "going out with someone, then look at the past tense of that word and it is linked with coping in a different sense than usual
73 of 111  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th February 2012, 22:07
Ah...Thanks Les and nice one Aristo.
74 of 111  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th February 2012, 23:36
1D: Writing convoluted (rolled up) SCROLL
dated met with romantically SAW
This will help you cope.
cope: make a curved cut to join moulding
(a scroll saw is a motorized coping saw)
75 of 111  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th February 2012, 23:41
Used by older people here too!...as in: I saw/dated her for two years before we married. Both words, I mean. Did check to see if date has that meaning in Chambers. It does.
76 of 111  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th February 2012, 23:42
Sorry, Aristo: didn't realize you were still stuck on 17a. Got it now? The last Atlantic Puzzler I've now completed alone, btw: well worth doing. A few of my suggestions were wrong. Get in touch if you try it.
77 of 111  -   Report This Post

lionheart

9th February 2012, 00:12
greedy kite, it woz me wot woz stuck on 17a! Les kindly helped me with the solution/definition but I still can't work out the cryptic bit?
78 of 111  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th February 2012, 00:34
Hello, C de L. May I? I took it as sterling (short) swallowing ream. The clue I offered you the other day was:
Too early to give a hint for 17a. Wait till... Oh, say 18:49 Pacific Time.
I know it sounded loony, but say it instead of reading it. Does it ring a bell?
79 of 111  -   Report This Post

lionheart

9th February 2012, 01:14
Oh my...no wonder I was still confused, I had the 5th letter making the word refer to naked pitch invasions! I see it now ;)
But I'm sorry to say that your clue has gone straight over my head aristo :(
80 of 111  -   Report This Post