CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

nimrod

18th September 2011, 13:34
Thanks Mr P.
Will look those up.
Glad the England team made it back for the second half - the less said about the first 40 mins the better!
Regards, NIMROD
61 of 72  -   Report This Post

wendy

18th September 2011, 15:06
Please forgive me for buttin in but I couldn't resit it. Nimrod, you mention Johnny Dankworth yet not Cleo Laine, one of the most wonderful jazz singers of our time!

A friend gave me an old copy of Saga Magazine recently. After I'd stopped sniggering, thinking it'd be a load of old tosh, I leafed through it and found a wondrous article on Cleo who is now 84 years old and looks like a spring chicken. Taught me a lot, especially the fact that the night John Dankworth died, she sang to a huge audience and didn't tell a soul for fear she'd spoil their fun.

Cleo rules OK, second only to the late great Ella!!
62 of 72  -   Report This Post

wee jock

18th September 2011, 16:00
Howdy Folks

This must be the liviest this site has been for many a month and I'm so pleased to see it just when it seemed that the interest fading. Its nice to see you,CARAVAGIO,NIMROD,MONDRIAN,PIPESMOKER and JAZZGIRL and others all pitching in on subejts other than just crosswords.I miss however contributions from OLDGAL and NAVIGATOR and hope they are both recovering from their hospital treatments. But where's the lovely KAREN? Well,I hope.

NUFF SAID THE NOO
BEST REGARDS TO ALL
WEE JOCK
63 of 72  -   Report This Post

nimrod

18th September 2011, 16:34
Wendy: A pleasure to hear from you.
Quite right! Married to John Dankworth, Cleo Laine is up there with Ella as one of the "greats" of jazz. I actually had the pleasure of going to the Royal Albert Hall in 1992/93?? where she was on stage with Frank Sinatra.A great night!
Forgive my oversight but when jazz and blues are mentioned I could fill several pages of e-mails!!!
Thanks for the reminder!
Regards,
NIMROD
64 of 72  -   Report This Post

nimrod

18th September 2011, 16:38
Wendy: Additional thought!
Another of the great jazz vocalists who I consider to be in the same league as Cleo & Ella is the late Carmen McRae.Well worth listening to.
Regards,
NIMROD
65 of 72  -   Report This Post

pastille

18th September 2011, 16:48
A bit of Billie Holiday always get to me...
66 of 72  -   Report This Post

nimrod

18th September 2011, 17:04
pastille; Always good to listen to Billie Holiday or "Lady Day". To compare her with Carmen McRae you could listen to "Good Morning Heartache" which was originally performed by Billie H but then recorded by McRae in a tribute album, "For Lady Day."
Regards,
NIMROD
67 of 72  -   Report This Post

pastille

18th September 2011, 17:09
Thank you I will! x
68 of 72  -   Report This Post

joan

18th September 2011, 17:17
Even though I don't like jazz in any shape or form, I have to say how nice it is to see posts, a discourse, that's going on in such a friendly,well-mannered, chatty way. For a while there was a lot of sniping and point-scoring going on on this side and I found it v dispiriting.
69 of 72  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

18th September 2011, 17:33
Amy Winehouse's early material was very jazz tinged, and her final record with Tony Bennett is certainly worth a listen.
70 of 72  -   Report This Post