CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

caravaggio

13th September 2011, 18:38
Jazzgirl: Your modesty becomes you because, if I'm not mistaken, you play clarinet yourself, don't you?

Pipesmoker: You're making light of your problems aren't you?

Magworth: After reading Pipesmoker's explanation, you'll now understand why it has to be that answer.
11 of 72  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

13th September 2011, 18:47
caravaggio
you don't miss a trick do you? ;)
I wish I could tell you more, but this being an open site... it's tricky.
Shame there's no way to "private message" on here. Music is so good for healing the mind and body, so I hope all those on here who are undergoing unpleasant treatments can listen to some sweet music of their own choice.

12 of 72  -   Report This Post

magworth

13th September 2011, 20:06
Yes, Pipesmoker, I too thought it was three syllables, that`s why I didn`t get it without a helpful hint. I admire your fortitude and hope it goes well for you.
13 of 72  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th September 2011, 21:43
Hi, Folks. There are few situations in life where we can't find a bit of room for some humour, if we look for it. For instance, last time I was in Southern General for my treatment, the cannula which feeds the drip into my bloodstream, slipped out of the vein, and I had 200 mililitres of the magic fluid pumped under my skin. This gave me a swollen arm, which subsided after a few days. I had fallen asleep while this was going on, so didn't know anything about it until I woke up. Funnier still, was the fact that I was going home at the end of the infusion, so I had to make the journey in my pyjama jacket, since I couldn't remove it because of the swelling. A right chookie I must have looked.

There are only about 400 - 500 people with CIDP (tne chronic cousin of Guillain Barre Syndrome)in the UK, quite a few of us in Scotland, so we see the same faces on a regular basis as we attend for treatment.

All in all, my life isn't so bad. I am looked after by a superb team of neurologists and an NHS for which I have the greatest admiration. Not only that, hospital stays allow plenty of time for doing crosswords.

Thank you all, and best wishes.

P
14 of 72  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th September 2011, 22:22
Apologies for the above to all who feel the forum should not be used for non crossword material.

P
15 of 72  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

13th September 2011, 22:58
Pipesmoker: I think all contributors to this Forum should be made to read that post because it makes our individual problems pale into insignificance.

Jazzgirl: Are you more Sidney Bechet than Acker Bilk? I think that you and I might just be kindred spirits.
16 of 72  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th September 2011, 08:50
Good morning all
Pipesmoker
you are an inspiration and have such a good sense of humour. Hope you are feeling good today.
caravaggio
I could not reply last night as I was tucked up in bed by 9pm .
Sidney Bechet of course! Acker was technically good, but kept mostly to tempo. Sidney had that creole soul in his playing, and improvisation that put him above the others. Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1pLQNhBLmA
17 of 72  -   Report This Post

lainey

14th September 2011, 09:43
Good morning all, I too went down the wrong route for 14d and have tried to retrieve my envelope (hubby took with him this morning on way to work!). The answer is so obvious now and I should have known better as hubby likes a flutter.

Thinking of all of you undergoing treatment.

Best wishes,

LAINEY
18 of 72  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th September 2011, 10:27
I still haven't picked up my copy yet, so am trying not to look at all the clues, but I daresay I will need them later!
19 of 72  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th September 2011, 16:11
Good afternoon all
I've just finished RT38, but had trouble with the fielder (another cricket term to remember) I had never heard of the bird (15a) and 10a had an alternative meaning to viewer. Apart from those, it was pretty straight-forward.
20 of 72  -   Report This Post