CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

caravaggio

14th September 2011, 16:47
Hi Jazzgirl,

I'm glad that you've finished and, for future reference, if you follow this link, you can print off the most comprehensive chart of cricket fielding positions:

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ABOUT_CRICKET/fielding-positions.pdf

With best wishes,

Caravaggio
21 of 72  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th September 2011, 19:21
Thanks caravaggio for the cricket field chart. I had no idea there were so many positions. I had a chuckle when I saw "cow corner" :)
22 of 72  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

14th September 2011, 19:29
Caravaggio
I have just found this:
Cow corner is an unconventional fielding position, more commonly found in the lower reaches of the game, on the midwicket/long-on boundary. The term is thought to have originated at Dulwich College where there was a corner of a field containing livestock on that edge of the playing area. Fielders were dispatched to the "cow corner"
I learn something every day :)

23 of 72  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th September 2011, 20:36
Hi Jazzgirl,

I have to admit that I gave you the link for the fielding positions with my tongue in my cheek but I'm glad that you found it interesting.

'Cow corner' is, to my mind, a derogatory expression because it usually conjures up the image of a batsman hitting across the line of the ball and depositing it over the wide legside boundary. By the same token, 'sweeper' is an expression that has evolved since the advent of limited-overs cricket and it is that fielder's responsibilty to cover anything that beats the inner field.

I apologise if that is rather heavy but, as you've probably guessed, I do know what I'm talking about as I learned all the fielding positions when I was still in short trousers!

With best wishes,

Caravaggio
24 of 72  -   Report This Post

charlotte

14th September 2011, 20:37
PIPESMOKER

I also know The Southern General very well(assuming you mean the one in Glasgow).What with antenatal,maternity,postnatal,more trips to A&E with the boys than I care to remember and numerous "womens things",I have been a regular visitor over the years.

A friend has Guillain Barre---not very pleasant.I wish you well.

Re RT38---last night I solved a few clues quite quickly.Tonight I seem to be stuck.I have an answer for 6D but it's a guess as I don't have any letters for it.I'm baffled by 5d and 8D

Charlotte
25 of 72  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th September 2011, 20:48
Hi Charlotte,

Your guess for 6d is probably correct because the first part of the clue is factual! 5d is quite clever - just think where nurses actually walk... As for 8d, think 'Minder' or 'New Tricks'. Got the answer? I thought you might!

Back to the football.

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
26 of 72  -   Report This Post

charlotte

14th September 2011, 20:54
CARAVAGGIO,

Many thanks.
27 of 72  -   Report This Post

charlotte

14th September 2011, 21:26
That's me finished.

I can't believe I didn't get 5D right away! I feel a bit silly now.

I was a bit puzzled about 11A until I realised that the answer contained the masculine and not the feminine form of the French word for "born"

I liked 7A,10A,18A and 14D (although I had never heard of the racecourse).

I also didn't know the bird at 15A or that the first 4 letters of 19D could mean "fool"

Live and learn! Charlotte
28 of 72  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

14th September 2011, 21:47
Hi Charlotte,

I'm pleased that you've finished and I'm glad that I could be of assistance to you.

Don't be too embarrassed about 5d because I didn't the see the answer straight away so I can empathise with you.

That's me finished for this evening.

Sweet dreams!

Caravaggio
29 of 72  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

15th September 2011, 21:18
Hi, Charlotte.

Yes, it is indeed the one in Glasgow. A fine place.

P
30 of 72  -   Report This Post