CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

17th September 2011, 15:35
Hi Lobeydosser
The answer means with honour.
Take the "even" letters from annoybully, starting with the 1st n and you will get the answer.
51 of 72  -   Report This Post

lobeydosser

17th September 2011, 15:42
Doh! Thanks, Phillip and jazzgirl. I'm off to post it now.
52 of 72  -   Report This Post

nimrod

17th September 2011, 17:09
Good afternoon all.
Best wishes to Navigator, Old Gal & Pipesmoker.
I hope you are all well.
Pipesmoker; I would not worry too much about the pyjama jacket - with the state of fashion today you probably did not look out of place!!!
Interesting to read the comments on jazz. I, myself am a huge fan of and a bit of an "amateur" on clarinet, saxophone and piano. Surprised not to hear mention of Artie Shaw, John Dankworth and Sid Phillips. Shaw hired both Buddy Rich and Billie Holiday in his bands, whist Kenny Ball was given his chance by Sid Phillips.
As for the crossword, straight forward enough but did like 15A, 4D, 14D & 19D.
Yes, Mondrian, I have been contributing to this site with Caravaggio for a few years now but always nice to welcome and hear from new RT contributors... and am far too youthful to take offence!!!!
Regards,
NIMROD
53 of 72  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

17th September 2011, 17:33
Nimrod:

I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to and have you noticed how there is now a plethora of Scots on this thread? I'd better not make any disparaging remarks because I have three female Scottish cousins...

You've perhaps noticed that I commented on Pipesmoker's courage in the face of adversity and my best wishes go to Navigator and Old Gal too. I'm very fortunate that my ailments would be classed as 'minor'. How are you keeping?

With kind regards,

Caravaggio
54 of 72  -   Report This Post

nimrod

17th September 2011, 17:51
Caravaggio:
Nice to hear from you again - and to hear that you are well. I did read your comments and wholeheartedly agree with them.
As for myself, I am fine. I have a follow up appointment with my consultant next week following my surgery - but realise that the operation gave me back a life and so I intend to really enjoy every minute of it!! Only when you lose your health do you realise how precious it is!! Really enjoying the Rugby World Cup. Wish I could be there. Although originally from Yorkshire but now an "adopted" Cestrian, I did play at a top level in both South Wales and Gloucestershire and I know too well that it can be a bruising game! That was in the 70's & 80's - it's a much tougher and different game (sadly, in some ways) than it ever was.
Quite chuffed at already having finished DT 26,690 - and I know that you do the DT crossword, from ecxcursions onto the Big Dave site. A bit of a tough one this week?
Hope you & family are well
Regards,
NIMROD
55 of 72  -   Report This Post

magworth

17th September 2011, 18:03
How long has this forum been in existence, please ? I`ve only just `discovered` it.
56 of 72  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th September 2011, 18:04
Hi Magworth
I think it was 2007 !
57 of 72  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

17th September 2011, 20:20
Nimrod:

I've never noticed your sobriquet on Big Dave's site. Do you lurk in the shadows or do you use a different name on that site? Yes, I've faithfully posted that cryptic crossword on a Monday morning for the past 20-odd years and never won it. However, I did win the Herculis crossword in March and own the exclusive Telegraph fountain pen!

I'm intrigued to know that you played rugby at a high standard and, although I didn't play at the same level, I did turn out for my club's second XV on a Saturday afternoon and then played football on a Sunday morning. So, having had to forego a few beers after the rugby, I made up for it after I'd played on a Sunday! As I was then built like Barry John, I now realise that I was lucky to play rugby when I did because I wouldn't survive in today's game. I recall a statistic from two years ago that the average weight of a first-class rugby player is now in excess of 16 stone[s].

I'll have to have an early night tonight as England's kick-off is 7.00 o'clock tomorrow morning; I'll give Wales a miss - it's too early!

With best wishes,

Caravaggio
58 of 72  -   Report This Post

nimrod

17th September 2011, 22:18
Caravaggio,
I only use the Big Dave site to check the odd query or answer after I've completed the crossword - never logged in. I believe it was you that mentioned the site. If I did log in it would be as NIMROD - so I suppose I lurk in the shadows!! I have only been doing the DT for just a couple of years. I really should thank Phillip and John (from Arran), yourself, Karen and others for re-igniting my interest in cryptic crosswords.

Yes, although I weighed in at 14 stone and stood 5ft 11 ins tall I doubt whether I would be big enough for flanker/ Number 8 duties today!!

Anyway, let's hope that the English boys get back early from their clubbing exploits in time for the kick off against Georgia!
Regards,
NIMROD
59 of 72  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

18th September 2011, 11:15
Reading your various comments on your time on the rugby field reminds me that this is just one of a vast array of activities at which I am hugely inept.

We did rugby at school, and I have memories of oversized guys knocking me into the mud and then jumping on my back. Why me, I never quite understood, since I never in my life got anywhere near the ball.

Despite this, I can commend to you, the Michael Green books of Coarse Sport, like 'The Art of Course Rugby', 'Even Coarser Rugby', 'The Art of Coarse Golf' etc. Generally speaking, they are about people whose eagerness to play is in inverse proportion to their ability. Worth a read and usually available on eBay for about a pound.

Have a super Sunday.

P
60 of 72  -   Report This Post