CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

charlotte

15th September 2011, 21:53
Hi,Pipesmoker

It is indeed a fine place,although I no longer live in the city.I moved to Paisley when I married a "Buddy"

All the best,

Charlotte
31 of 72  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

16th September 2011, 09:37
Hi, Charlotte.

Thanks for your post. I am seldom in Paisley any more, since the A737 was linked up with the M8, but I used to spend my Saturday mornings in the Pancake Place there, while the kids were at the Alan Dee Dancing School.

Mrs P and I also joined said school for a wee while, but gave up when I got expelled. You see, I have very poor co-ordination, and when it came to the bit in a waltz where we had to stop waltzing to the right and change to the left, I had to stop and think. This is not recommended on a dance floor, so we kept causing almighty pile ups. They tried me with a different partner, but the results were no better. I was asked to leave.

Still, I miss the Pancakes.

Have a good day.

P
32 of 72  -   Report This Post

mondrian

16th September 2011, 11:37
Glad to see you are back with us Caravaggio. I was beginning to wonder if you had gone to New Zealand.

Pipesmoker - you are a tonic. Hope our appreciation of your humour in difficult circumstances helps YOU a bit too.

I`m still struggling. If the racecourse is not Doncaster, what is it?
33 of 72  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

16th September 2011, 11:43
Hi,Mondrian.

Thanks. It is indeed very heartening when people say encouraging words.

Re the racecourse clue. Think of where you might put a slice or two of bread in the morning, and it comes out all brown and crispy (or if I do it - burnt). The use of the radio reference seems to be used quite widely these days, and it simply means how a word is heard. Here we have a race course which has three syllables if you say it as I would, but pronounced on the radio with two.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes for now.

P
34 of 72  -   Report This Post

mondrian

16th September 2011, 11:51
Thanks Pipesmoker. If you are a former dancer, are you a follower of `Come Dancing`?
35 of 72  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

16th September 2011, 12:17
Hi, Mondrian.

No I don't follow anything to do with dancing. It was never my idea of fun in the first place. On the rare occasion I attend a family wedding, I just sit and scowl at the people enjoying themselves.

Anyway, I'm now off to sunny Glasgow to collect my granddaughter who likes to come down for the weekend.

Catch up later.

P
36 of 72  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

16th September 2011, 12:19
Mondrian:

I find that it's rather endearing that you've missed me and you've got a good memory - yes, I would love to be in New Zealand! As you can probably guess, I am watching quite a few of the matches but I'm not that keen that I'm prepared to get up in the middle of the night as I noticed that the kick-off in one of the games was 3.30 GMT.

Enough of me. How are you keeping?

With best wishes,

Caravaggio

37 of 72  -   Report This Post

wee jock

16th September 2011, 12:57
HOWDY FOLKS

HOPE ALL YOU LOVELY PEOPLE ARE WELL(Not forgetting you,OLD GAL,and your cyrrent hospital visit.Ten times!)

I'm really 7across at being so late in finishing RT38 having been bogged down by 14a and 15d and not allowing myself any outside help save dictionary and reference books(What a wally!). A halfpenny did drop
when I saw the 'wee chookie burdie' hiding in the undergrowth of 15a but that still left 14d. D*******r was the only racing town
I knew but not suitable so I had to resort to a very small print gazetteer a magnifying
glass and very poor eyesight and only came up with Woodhouse's Bertie W. but was'nt it either. Back to gazetteer and glass and
EUREKA there it was, a small English racing town (Pop.9k)whose name is homophonic with a kitchen appliance,but is that the normal pronounciation? But 'On the radio'? That's
only saying 'Sounds like'.
I write all this drivel to show to you brilliant folk at the top 0f the class just how a lesser puzzler's mind works.

Now JAZZ CLARIONETISTS. I dont hear the mention of the greatest of them all,the late BENNY GOODMAN whose beautiful tone and brilliant flexibility made it sound so effortless. Dont mention A*** B*** on the same page whose terrible embouchure resulted in a poor tone and a dreadful vibratto.

NUFF SAID
BEST REGARDS TO ALL
TEN TIMES(to the ladies)
WEE JOCK
38 of 72  -   Report This Post

wee jock

16th September 2011, 13:11
H/F

Sorry 14d and 15a

N/S

W/J
39 of 72  -   Report This Post

mondrian

16th September 2011, 14:38
Hello again Caravaggio. When you do not post I miss you and your obvious learning. I am also wondering if you, Nimrod and I are the oldest contributors to this site. Where are you Karen? Hope you are ok. Thanks for your enquiry about me. I seem to be keeping ok but am a bit frightened to say so in case I tempt fate!!

Pipesmoker - hope you have a nice weekend with your grand daughter. My darling one was born in the Southern Gen Hosp so I have happy memories of there too. She now lives in Finland. But they did visit UK this summer.

Re Xword. I cannot get that thing about his customers being needled. I think I have every second letter. Also the one about the love drug.
40 of 72  -   Report This Post