CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

20th July 2011, 17:06
I detest the way the word "closure" is used, at least here in the US. It is no longer primarily used by insincere and creepy TV reporters but also by anyone else who is able to deal with many-layered emotional challenges by sucking up all their feelings into a word like this. You'll actually hear something like: "They've finally found the murderer of our little girl. Now we have closure." There was a time when you'd more likely hear: "They've caught this evil monster. Now I want them to fry him." I for one don't think that the former response is an improvement (call me old-fashioned). It's not just the sickening ubiquity of the word but what it's done to our psyches.
181 of 203  -   Report This Post

wendy

20th July 2011, 18:08
Aristophanes,

Agree about "closure". They use it often in divorce proceedings too.

How about "I took it off of the table".
182 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th July 2011, 19:10
Used here, but not relentlessly. Other bugbears: twenty-four-seven and surreal.
183 of 203  -   Report This Post

terry as was

20th July 2011, 19:42
Jeez,you guys are all so negative. There must be some "foreign" phrases that you do like (when used properly at any rate). I quite like....."It doesn't have to be this way". Said to someone you are giving the chance to walk away before things turn nasty.
184 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th July 2011, 19:46
Well, there's a slight problem with "It doesn't have to be this way." It usually does.
185 of 203  -   Report This Post

terry as was

20th July 2011, 19:54
I knew there was a flaw in what I was saying. Thank you for pointing it out. Missing you already.
186 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th July 2011, 20:12
Thank you. But what if this is the exception that proves the rule?
187 of 203  -   Report This Post

pastille

20th July 2011, 20:15
Now don't get me wrong, my 3 trips to the states were amazing...

2x New York...ambloodyazing!

1x Orlando (husband on work thing...I went along (paid by us btw!)

Thought it would be hell...oh no! I love it!

Hate shopping anyway...and the worst thing I heard was in a Juicy Couture shop...where they bade me Goodbye with a...

Have a Juicy day!

Blood was nearly spilt!

p@
188 of 203  -   Report This Post

terry as was

20th July 2011, 20:26
I've been to USA a few times and always enjoyed it a lot. I remember once coming back to the hotel quite late in the evening being surprized to see what appeared to be half the american military in the place. Every door,corridor,lift entance,etc had a couple of star ship troopers sort of on guard, armed to the teeth, with,of course,the obligatory mirrored sun-glasses. I was having a chat with the barman and asked if the president was staying or what. He told me that there had been a heated argument in the bar the previous night,so the manager had called in a private security company in case it happened again. I expect they had tanks in the car park but I didn't notice.
189 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th July 2011, 20:34
pastille: Orlando? Really? I always said that I'd rather spend a week in a coffin than at Disney World, but then I won a trip there, which everyone who knows me thought was hilarious. As we were entering DW on the bus from the airport, the driver announced: "Welcome to the happiest place on earth!" We were having a family fight at the time. My kids are always reminding me that I spent a week there reading Bleak House. The verdict? It's like any other fascist Utopia. My favorite (translation: favourite) American city is........Chicago!
190 of 203  -   Report This Post