CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastille

14th July 2011, 15:40
Lol...

Between Hats for beavers and the image of a woodchuck of "linebacker" proportions.

I have the "chuckles"!

AND I can't stop thinking about...

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Thank you...Mr A...can't spell Aristophanes!

p@
131 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th July 2011, 16:02
Benjamin Franklin wore a beaver hat, even in Paris! They're rather out of style now, and even back then I think "you guys" bought most of them. I've been thinking about wearing my woodchuck somehow, but (as mentioned above) it can't be outsmarted. I don't even know its gender. If it's a female it's not what you'd call curvaceous, and I haven't seen it reclining (it's way too busy). If I knew its inmost desires I might, say, lure it with an array of little shoes.
132 of 203  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

14th July 2011, 16:21
Of course, Ben Franklin also flew his kite in a lightning storm, so he wasn't noted for his judgement....
133 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th July 2011, 16:23
Bullfrog: In general, yes. But (again) note that the OED has "bring back" as a separate entry. It's exactly like saying "I'm returning them."
134 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th July 2011, 16:26
Sorry, Bullfrog. I was responding to your earlier post, not the one just above, which crossed the Atlantic before mine did. I think the kite story is apocryphal. I'll look it up.
135 of 203  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

14th July 2011, 16:27
I read somewhere that the British and the Americans are similar people divided by the same language!

136 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th July 2011, 16:33
In looking it up I found this interesting tidbit: "A Frenchmen (sic) named Thomas-Francois Balibard did conduct the experiment although he used a 40 foot iron rod instead of a kite." Leave it to a Frenchman to try to fly a 40-foot iron rod. Do you think it worked?

137 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th July 2011, 16:39
Anticipating the inevitable onslaught- Yes, we normally put "sic" in brackets rather than parentheses. It was an unconscionable slip.
138 of 203  -   Report This Post

the joker

14th July 2011, 16:44
I feel I must interject here as things have gone too far.
I am considering applying to the site monitor to have all the posters using the BEAVER word to be banned. It affects my sensibility.
TJ
139 of 203  -   Report This Post

terry as was

14th July 2011, 16:58
The Joker,
It's OK,you don't need to concern yourself about beaver(s). It's the split beaver you have to watch out for.
140 of 203  -   Report This Post