CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

helenb

14th July 2011, 10:27
Re shoes - Aristophanes confused me when he said M rs A had bought shoes but was BRINGING them back, unless she was actually IN the shop when she said it surely she would be TAKING them back. It reminded me of my neighbour who during a power cut asked me if my electricity had went off - I would have said gone off - who would be right?
121 of 203  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

14th July 2011, 10:50
Hi, HelenB. I once wrote to a local rag, complaining that they had printed a had went, which is really disgusting, considering they make their living through use of the written word, and, with this exception, a mastery of our language. They didn't even publish my letter.

You are most certainly correct, but trying to explain to your neighbour would probably be a waste of breath.
122 of 203  -   Report This Post

wendy

14th July 2011, 12:30
Long may pedantry thrive. Without us, the world would go to pot!

(That's a daft expression, I've never thought to wonder whence it came).
123 of 203  -   Report This Post

helenb

14th July 2011, 12:34
From Goldsmith's 'Verses in Reply to an invitation to Dinner at Dr Baker's' : "You may all go to Pot".
124 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th July 2011, 14:41
HelenB: Well, perhaps it's an Americanism. When one comes home from shopping and discovers that there's, say, a rodent living inside the watermelon, one says (angrily), "I'm bringing this back!" I feel that there's a subtle difference between the actions of returning the watermelon to its former resting place and, say, TAKING it to the Board of Health, where it presumably has never been. Webster's does define "bring" as: to convey, lead, carry, or cause to come along with one toward the place from which the action is being regarded. Now I have a little difficulty with this. How can something accompany you to a place if you're already there? In educated company (here, I mean- if you can imagine such a thing) I daresay that no one would express horror equal to yours, whereas "had went" would raise eyebrows. Mrs. A and I aren't careless in our speech, but then we haven't had the advantage of your tutelage.
There are indeed inconsistencies in American speech, as there no doubt are in English. We, for example, would NEVER say "in hospital" (there's always an article there), though we do say "in church", unless, say, one is outside a place of worship, in the parking lot, for example (car park?), and one says, "Where is little Ludwig?" (a common Yankee name). One might then say, "Little Ludwig is in the church, playing with his flashlight" (torch). One might then say, "Bring him out here!", even though little Ludwig would not be accompanying the speaker toward whom he is moving, but being taken to him/her. Couldn't one say that the fetcher was bringing him out?
It's perhaps fortunate that our trip to London was cancelled last year (due to the volcanic eruption). People there wouldn't have understood us! And they might have laughed at our beaver hats.
125 of 203  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th July 2011, 15:04
OED bring back: to cause to return (to a place or state).
126 of 203  -   Report This Post

wendy

14th July 2011, 15:26
Thank you, HelenB
127 of 203  -   Report This Post

wendy

14th July 2011, 15:30
Aristophanes, for an American, I applaud your spelling of "cancelled"!!!
128 of 203  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

14th July 2011, 15:33
I'd say that you bring it here and take it there.

And how charming that you have hats for your beavers!
129 of 203  -   Report This Post

bernie

14th July 2011, 15:37
Or even beavers for hats!
130 of 203  -   Report This Post