CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sallyw

10th June 2011, 22:58
pastille, nothing to do with this thread, but sue is trying to get in touch with you.
281 of 339  -   Report This Post

the voice of reason

10th June 2011, 23:44
Am I alone in thinking that something sad occurred on this thread. Why didn't AJT explain his apparently incompatible statements rather than respond with vile abuse. It's most odd that someone who professes to hate vile remarks should choose to defend their position in that very way.
282 of 339  -   Report This Post

yonah

11th June 2011, 01:30
It is quite interesting to note that, other than in two instances, one very early on, and another on p.10, nowhere in the thread does anyone attempt to post a complete or near-complete answer. In point of fact, none of us has any idea if any of the hints given are correct, none of us knows what the others' answers actually are, and none of us will know what the correct solution is until it is posted next month!
283 of 339  -   Report This Post

canary

11th June 2011, 04:15
Wow, what a difference a day makes. Seemed to me this site was devoid of the like of DOTW but hey-ho, that's the way it goes.

Peterm: agree with all of that completely.

Seems to me that despite the length of the thread there have been only a handful of people throwing ideas around (often wrong ones!) and only a couple of times have answers been given away.
Reminds me of the many Saturdays I spent back in the UK meeting my brother and his girlfriend at the pub, to have a bit of banter and to do the Guardian. Inevitably a lot of the regulars would join in and we'd all throw ideas around till it was finished. Guess in DOTW's book that I've been cheating for years then.
284 of 339  -   Report This Post

sallyw

11th June 2011, 09:13
canary you have hit the nail on the head. It was an interesting discussion with ideas being floated for others to consider. There was no need for DOTW to get so sanctimonious about the whole thing. Having made their point, like the pub bore they had to keep on and on and resort to personal attacke when they didn't like the way things were going for them..
285 of 339  -   Report This Post

tig

11th June 2011, 11:07
I have been unable (hopefully only as yet) to complete ( perhaps complete is to strong a word - get anywhere woudl be more accurate) the crossword this month despite the hints on here, so that must mean the answers are not being given away. Yes a couple have been given but I will know that if after a concerted effort this weekend I do manage to complete the puzzle, with the aid of the hints here then I will have learned a lot about completing cryptic crosswords.
Personally I do not consider it cheating I consider it expanding my knowledge and understanding. Through the genius I have learned about all sorts of things and sometimes even seemed a "genuis" myself ones such as the mornington crescent or the catch 22 themed geniuses where I positively romped through them.
Initially I worked with a friend to learn and complete them and we each brought differing skills often I understand the special instructions first. Now I do not see my friend as often and so I use this solver as my friend. But I have always spent time on the puzzle before coming on here and I always learn from it. One day I may even be able to help someone else. Without this site i may have given up on learning the technique of the cryptic crossword and lost hours of pleasure and achievement (and frustration!).
Long live this site.
286 of 339  -   Report This Post

ajt

11th June 2011, 11:19
I don't know why this concern has continued for so long. Why should we be bothered about the opinion of a bigot? I think it must be a regular of this column using a different pseudonym. It is such a pity that the last few pages have completely spoil what was such a pleasurable thread

Don't let this go on to "Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

287 of 339  -   Report This Post

sallyw

11th June 2011, 11:55
:0)
288 of 339  -   Report This Post

oak

11th June 2011, 21:17
May I point out to the authors of posts 240-288. and thread Genius 96...Wow. that the title of this site is Crossword Clue Solver and should not be a forum for abuse and displaying ones ego. I expect to receive both now.
289 of 339  -   Report This Post

trevor

11th June 2011, 21:25
Actually its the 'Crossword Help Forum' but thank you for your input Oak.
Shall we let it lie?
290 of 339  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » genius 96