CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT10

pipesmoker

8th March 2011, 12:09
Hi, Pastille,

The McFlannells was a programme on the wireless, (the thing we listened to before radio was invented). They were the creation of Helen W Pryde, and all the characters were called after materials. The shauchly wee nyaff in question was Mr McMuslin. There were also people called McCotton, McSilk etc.

The story was based in Glasgow, where the family lived up a close. Approximate date, perhaps between the wars. Sarah McFlannell, the matriarch spent much of her life trying to make her husband, Willie, speak properly (pretty much like Mrs Pipesmoker's efforts with the one she is related to by marriage).

The books are out of print, but can still be summoned up on eBay.

Shauchly, I think refers to the person's gait. Probably one with bow legs, and who shambles along. That's how I described it anyway.

Worth a look if you get the chance.

P
81 of 85  -   Report This Post

pastille

8th March 2011, 12:16
Thanks Pipesmoker,

I certainly will look into this.

Now, shaucly makes sense,and as you say very descriptive.

Slater,

p@
82 of 85  -   Report This Post

weex jock

8th March 2011, 12:44
HELLO PIPESMOKER
Hope you are well this morning.I was about to reply to your previous post on the subject of the McFLANNELS and thank you for the nostalgic reminder of that happy Glasgow radio family.It must have been about 1939 it started and continued throughout the war with MOLLY WEIR playing IVY I think and RIKKY FULTON the REV DAVID Mc---(pre his I.M. JOLLY days).I must try to get ahold of
the books you mention or recordings if available.I dont suppose there's anything on youtube!
While on the subject of the SCOTS TONGUE, have you ever come accross EBENEEZER McILWHAM the BARD O' WHIFLET? (Listen up all you Jocks and Jockesses and other interested parties)He was the Alter Ego of the late Cliff Hanley and he wrote some hilariously funny(I think)poems in scots.
But what am I thinking,RT11 is out and all you guys and gals will be beavering away filling in the grid while this sparra hieded wee eedyit, gowk or nyaff is not.

NUFF SAID
HAPPY PANCAKES
WJ
83 of 85  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

8th March 2011, 12:47
Pastille, I see that I have mispelt McFlannels. There is only one L.

I think you would enjoy a read of their stories. I have had to start on book 2, and I see that eBay and Amazon are quite expensive. I only paid about £1 plus postage for mine.

If you are reading to a youngster, I would also recommend Wee MacGreegor, by JJ Bell. It is another Scottish story about a wee boy who lives in (I think), Dundee.

Incidentally, you may have guessed that I too am Scottish.

P
84 of 85  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

8th March 2011, 12:55
Thanks, WJ. It is, indeed, time to get on with RT11.

I haven't come across Cliff Hanley in this guise. I know he wrote the words to Scotland the Brave, and many highly amusing books and articles. I will have a search and see if there is anything on eBay or Amazon.

Thanks again.

P
85 of 85  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT10