CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT10

wee jock

6th March 2011, 17:19
HOWDY FOLKS and greetimgs to all you lovely people and their cats.Thanks To PIPESMOKER and NIMROD for your kind welcome.
I notice,P/S, that you,like me,are a burner of the midnight oil and I wonder if you find,as I do,that the answer to some difficult crossword clues come in the wee small hours.
NIMROD (O Mighty Hunter!)Yes,I finished RT10 on Wednesday and found it quite interesting with some neat answers but not difficult.
24a. I couldnt see the 'stop'reference at first but eventually did.
17d.I didnt know the medical term for nerve cell junction but with help of my trusty Chambers I know now.

NUFF SAID
and
A HAPPY PANCAKE TUESDAY TO ALL
WJ

51 of 85  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

7th March 2011, 04:22
Hi, Wee Jock,

Yes, I am indeed nocturnal by nature. Mrs P has spent forty years trying to reform me, but without success.

The serene hours between 1 and 5 am are good for crosswords if I have managed to leave any aside by that time. Presently working on the Herald GK, but you either know the answer or you don't. I prefer cryptic, where even if I don't know the word, I can still work out the answer.

Had a very pleasant weekend in the company of my granddaughter. We had been reading bits of Shakespeare, as she is doing this at school. However, it is time she got some culture into her life, so I introduced her to the McFlannells. Still a very funny read even after all these years.

Busy week ahead. Collect Mrs P's new car on Monday, then on Wednesday through to Friday, will be in Southern General in Glasgow for my top up of Immunoglobulin, a wonderful treatment costing about £5000 per visit, which keeps me on my feet. God bless the NHS and all who contribute.

Take great care.

Best wishes.

P
52 of 85  -   Report This Post

mondrian

7th March 2011, 11:13
Karen, by my reckoning today (7th March) is your actual birthday. If so a very happy birthday to you and your husband and daughter also. Happy birthday also to Charlies Human. By the way I didn`t eat cake but had a lovely lunch out at Jamie Olivers`s Restaurant newly arrived in Glasgow.

Welcome back Wee Jock - glad to know you were just in the huff!!

53 of 85  -   Report This Post

pastille

7th March 2011, 11:26
Good morning all,

Nice to see you back Wee Jock, I too am pleased you were just having a hissy fit, and that your absence was not due to ill health, or an earthquake, a kidnapping or something.

I am still intrigued to know how many Scots there are on this site.

Me, being one of course..a wee jockess

Take care all.

p.s I haven't even started the crossie this week, very busy at the plot.
54 of 85  -   Report This Post

karen

7th March 2011, 12:01
Morning all.
Thanks Mondrian but its not my birthay today,couple of weeks yet. I meant 3 birthdays within 3 days of each othern not in 3 days time! Sorry if I mislead you.x
55 of 85  -   Report This Post

ann

7th March 2011, 20:40
FAO Pastille

I too am a Scot-A Weegie in fact,although I now live in Renfrewshire.

I haven't posted for a while but I still follow the threads.Like Wee Jock and many others I got fed up with the eejits trying to spoil the site.I was going to give up altogether but after reading all the comments I will carry on.I love the banter and the camaraderie-and of course the hints!

ann
56 of 85  -   Report This Post

tonyw

7th March 2011, 20:51
sorry to interrupt your thread ,but how can you be scottish and use the word eejit?
57 of 85  -   Report This Post

pastille

7th March 2011, 21:12
Hi Ann,

Hi Tonyw...Eeejit I like the 3 e spelling, is a Scottish word, meaning an idiot, a numpty, a ignoramus, a dumpling,a Josuestan.

Why do you query this? Is it used too, in your neck-of the-woods?

p@

58 of 85  -   Report This Post

tonyw

7th March 2011, 21:17
sorry if I'm wrong but I thought that eejit was an Irish mispronunciation of idiot.
I do not mean to offend,but I have never heard a true Scot use the word.
59 of 85  -   Report This Post

trevor

7th March 2011, 21:42
i think it was Roddy Doyle who popularised eejit as the phonetical spelling of idiot (in an irish accent).
i use it and im half welsh(and 2 thirds londonisher)
60 of 85  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT10