CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mondrian

4th October 2010, 11:20
Good morning all Its a beautiful morning for a Monday! Just been rereading all the contributions. Nimrod I hope you are feeling better by now. Caravaggio, hope your son liked all the congrats he got from us. When I email my son I count myself lucky when I get a one-liner back so you are not alone in not getting a reply.

Rob the Rich we haven`t spoken yet. I take it by your interesting spelling at times that you are a thespian. Can you enlighten me as to the origin of the phrase `break a leg` much used by theatre people and others of course.
71 of 81  -   Report This Post

mondrian

4th October 2010, 11:25
Just received an email from said son. Take back what I just said - 5 paragraphs this morning.
72 of 81  -   Report This Post

jimc

4th October 2010, 11:35
Hi Mondrian.

Let me guess ...

1. Hello Dad/Mum.

2. How are you?

3. I'm fine.

4. Hoping to see you soon...

5. Lotsaluv son-of-Mondrian.

JimC ;)
73 of 81  -   Report This Post

robtherich

4th October 2010, 12:55
Hi Mondrian. Yes, a morning and a half down here in the south west (we're not all from Cheshire...) and a chance to do some serious gardening.

Not sure what I scrobe in the past to betray thespian tendencies but, yes, you're spot on, in that I taught theatah for many a year. As for break a leg, I think it replaces 'Good luck' as to say that invites luck of the opposite sort, so 'break a leg' invokes opposite magic. Whether 'may you drown in your own spit' would work as successfully, I've never tested...
74 of 81  -   Report This Post

nimrod

4th October 2010, 13:40
old gal - Sorry that I did not get back to you earlier.
22A - "firstly" refers to first letters of clues - with the word meaning to swear.
17D - if my memory serves me well, as I have not kept the crossword grid, is an anagram of "near the"
75 of 81  -   Report This Post

karen

4th October 2010, 13:52
Hi old gal and Nimrod.It's hard to remember the exact clue when you no longer have the grid! 17d Is an anagram of 'near th' +u (for you)
76 of 81  -   Report This Post

nimrod

4th October 2010, 14:11
Thanks Karen!!
Sorry if I misled you old gal.
77 of 81  -   Report This Post

karen

4th October 2010, 14:35
Hi Nimrod, I just glanced at my answer grid when I saw you posting. The answer for 17d is actally in the clue,as I realised when I re-looked at the actual clue.17d Discover you near the interior (6). Just to refresh your memory!x
78 of 81  -   Report This Post

karen

4th October 2010, 14:37
Sorry that should be (7)
79 of 81  -   Report This Post

mondrian

4th October 2010, 17:26
Hi Jim C. We dont often have your company. In reply to your suggestions for email from son No 3 would fit the bill or some variation of `we are all fine`, but not today - 5 paragraphs no less!!

Thanks Rob the Rich for explanation of `break a leg` I think you must have told us at some time you were involved in theatre.

See you all for No 41.
80 of 81  -   Report This Post