CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (from arran)

29th September 2010, 13:07
Hi Nimrod,

Glad you're on the mend. It sounds as though a cyber trip to Amazon for a couple of crossword books might be on the cards.
21 of 81  -   Report This Post

nimrod

29th September 2010, 14:39
Thanks John(from Arran). Seems like a good idea to me! Many thanks also to all who wished me well on previous threads.
This RT crossword was relatively straight forward.
Having read the thread, I would agree that the now standard inclusion of 1 or 2 clues to find the names of media personalities, some from American TV series, can be a challenge for those of us that watch little or no television. I usually find myself asking my teenage children for guidance!
12A was not a good clue - much prefer the alternative from John(from Arran). I would also agree that "the" in 6D is not really needed.
Thought that the use of chemical symbols allowed the compiler more "width" in the wording of some clues.
Did think that 7A and particularly 4D were good clues!
22 of 81  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

29th September 2010, 16:19
Nimrod, it's good to see your name back on this thread and I hope that you'll be out and about soon.
23 of 81  -   Report This Post

bees

29th September 2010, 19:49
Hi Nimrod! Glad to know the mighty crossword hunter is back among us.
24 of 81  -   Report This Post

karen

29th September 2010, 19:54
Hello Nimrod,good to hear your op was successful,although your still in pain and discomfort,I hope they have given you medication to give you some ease that will enable you some rest. Nice to have you back on the RT page and hope your recovery to be swift. Karenx
25 of 81  -   Report This Post

philip

29th September 2010, 21:16
Evening all and welcome back Nimrod. Hope you are feeling better and your contributions were missed.
Started late this evening and enjoyed 23a. However would like to start a debate on 19d Fairly large phosphorous chunk. Could be either CLUMP or PLUMP. Chunk leads me to CLUMP, but the use of the chemical symbol P leads me to PLUMP (LUMP + P) I am swinging towards PLUMP, but it reminds me of the old News of the World Crosswords my dad used to do in the 50's. (anyone else remember them)
What do you think?
PHILIP
26 of 81  -   Report This Post

crypto

29th September 2010, 21:42
Philip - it has to be 'plump' for me, (which is 'fairly large', made up of p for phosphorus + lump for chunk).

27 of 81  -   Report This Post

chris4food

29th September 2010, 22:06
Hi Philip - plump works for me, too.
Re Brendan Foster, I thought it was two abbreviated names Bren[da] and Dan[iel] but I thought that John[from Arran]'s alternative clue was much better...
Hi Nimrod, glad to see you back in the world of the living - here's to a speedy recovery
Cheers to everyone
Chris
28 of 81  -   Report This Post

karen

29th September 2010, 22:09
Agree,with Crypto,thats what I put, same reason.x
29 of 81  -   Report This Post

karen

29th September 2010, 22:12
Not that I'm posting, same old prize!
30 of 81  -   Report This Post