CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT31

old gal

30th July 2010, 20:15
John - hope this posting is not too late - your garden is fantastic and I really love the sculptures! Very well done you and my namesake!!!!
71 of 84  -   Report This Post

mondrian

31st July 2010, 10:09
John (from Arran) have just viewed your garden and sculptures. Very beautiful and most interesting. Is there some influence of Henry Moore or B Hepworth in the work?

Thanks also for the courgette cake recipe. I probably wont make as I really dont bake cakes any more, now my children have left home and eating more cakes is the last thing I need!!

I still haven`t managed to get the racecourse clue. Have everything else. Consulted someone who bets regularly on horse racing but still couldn`t find the answer. Am I being thick? No, dont answer that!!

What a well spread out bunch we all are. Have a good weekend and see you next week for No 32!
72 of 84  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

31st July 2010, 10:53
Hi Mondrian,

Thanks for all for the warm messages about the garden. We had 45 visitors yesterday despite a heavy drizzle all day. Closed today but open again tomorrow when the weather is supposed to improve.

As for 18A; type the letters "far knoll wept" into http://anagram-solver.utsire.com/">this anagram solver and see what comes out.
73 of 84  -   Report This Post

nimrod

31st July 2010, 10:53
Mondrian: 18a
This clue has a definite aquatic theme. Given that racecourses are often a park, we can dispense with the second word.
First word: 8 letters: Dipping for names in a church - brings water from below.
Hope this helps.
74 of 84  -   Report This Post

o

31st July 2010, 12:39
Another way is to go onto British Racecourses website and look at their map to find out the racecourse which fits the bill. I did this and I must say it is a course I have never heard of before.
75 of 84  -   Report This Post

mondrian

31st July 2010, 16:06
Thank you John (from Arran), NIMROD and Q. I sort of got fontwell bit but couldn`t make any sense of it as I too have never heard of such a park.

By the way is the Nimrod name an RAF connection or an Elgar one?

Hope you get lots of garden visitors tomorrow, John. Regards to everyone
76 of 84  -   Report This Post

sarko

31st July 2010, 16:30
Jean d'A: Nous aimons bien votre jardin, Carla et moi, et nous esperons visiter l'isle d'Arran a l'avenir. Peut-etre c'est possible herberger avec vous? J'ai une amante et Carla a son ami... Ca fait 4 personnes, et notre entourage inclu 12 personnes de securite.
77 of 84  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

31st July 2010, 17:40
Hi Sarka,

Not being a French speaker, I resorted to Google, which translates this as:

We love your garden, Carla and me, and we hope to visit the Isle of Arran in the future. Maybe it's possible herberger with you? I have a lover and his friend Carla ... It's been four people, and our entourage included 12 people with security.

I think you probably meant to type heberger which translates as accommodate. Garden visitors are always welcome even a party of 12.
78 of 84  -   Report This Post

jimc

31st July 2010, 18:04
John d'A.

Just a warning (thinking of your lawn getting worn out etc.) ... I don't think that Sarko & Carla 'do' garden parties with groups limited to just 12.

http://q.liberation.fr/photo/id/57201/r/03/02/w/459/m/1277294660" alt="Sarko" hpsace=10>

JimC
79 of 84  -   Report This Post

robtherich

31st July 2010, 18:06
With a babel-fish in my ear I'd say Google did a pretty good translation, though Sarko (possibly a cleverly disguised nom de plume de ma tante for Sarkozy?) would appear to be accompanied by 12 security personnel, and his wife Carla by her lover... Herberger was obviously a typo - even the office of the French head of state resorts to lunchtime bibbing and becomes fumble-fingered.

Maybe you've got a summerhouse you can shove some of them into?
80 of 84  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT31