CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT31

flipper2law

30th July 2010, 13:05
Hi All,
This Friday,
got all done EXCEPT 8 across; have ?r?a?
For 18a I have the county in which Luton play starting with a 'b' For 3 down (and Mondrial who helps us all,)
some old people are ????? and look Weak - before 'ty'
Keep going.
61 of 84  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

30th July 2010, 13:18
8A Fourpence dropped gravity but added a hundred european resident.

If it helps, the RT compiler makes frequent use of the term "regularly" to mean pick out alternate letters from a part of the clue. They also use "oddly" and "evenly" in the same way.
62 of 84  -   Report This Post

robtherich

30th July 2010, 13:45
Thanks for the garden tour, John d'A. You're obviously a green-fingered pair who can even get stones to grow. Down here in the balmy south west we tend to think that everyone else suffers from bleak northernness -or wind-blasted easterlies. So Arran is lush!? Must adjust my cliché-stuffed mind!
63 of 84  -   Report This Post

old gal

30th July 2010, 14:03
Blimey! This blog is getting enormously popular! I too am stuck on 8a.

Have made courgette cake and it was delicious - got it from a book of Australian cake recipes - also made beetroot cake which was nicer than it sounded! Last week had plain cake soaked in elderflower cordial and suger mixture - lovely! Am off to lavender farm in Cotswold at weekend to sample lavender scones. What!!!! So I like cake...
64 of 84  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

30th July 2010, 14:15
Hi oldgal,

I like the sound of the elderflower cake, a bit like lemon drizzle cake. Did you get 8A yet?
65 of 84  -   Report This Post

flipper2law

30th July 2010, 14:34
Hi all,
Finally 'got'8 across. Thanks to John(from Arran) and although 84 now I learned about regularly,oddly,evenly which probably explained why I often couldn't see how The correct answer was produced.
I too enjoyed the photographs of the gardens (not snaps) and was tickled pink by the stone
armchair at Glen View.
Will be visiting Arran now on Global Earth -
if I can find it.
Keep smiling.
66 of 84  -   Report This Post

nimrod

30th July 2010, 16:44
Old Gal - 8a, the key word is cormorants, not in the fact that the word is a clue, but the structure of the letters in the word. Then go back to the comments of John from Arran.
John from Arran - As an amateur gardener, I can only hold my hands up and say "magnificent" - what lovely gardens!
67 of 84  -   Report This Post

karen

30th July 2010, 17:00
Hi John,Lovely photos from Arran.Spent some happy holidays there as a child!
68 of 84  -   Report This Post

old gal

30th July 2010, 18:03
John and Nimrod - thanks, have solved the clue finally. And thanks, John, for your tip on regularly - will look out for this in future.

Have a good weekend everyone - no doubt will talk next week!
69 of 84  -   Report This Post

robtherich

30th July 2010, 19:38
flipper2law,sir: many congratulations on mental agility at 84 which shames most of us of greener years (me 68, and pissed off at being classed as elderly...), but explain, pray, the pseudonym. Flipper2law? No, I don't get it.

My own, though deliberately ambiguous, needs the Rob to be read as a verb - or injunction; no way can it be a noun, though properly it may be...
70 of 84  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT31