CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gazzar

14th August 2018, 11:51
Thanks smartie and scarlett. I should have got that - doh!
101 of 109  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

15th August 2018, 16:04
Late to this, this week. Great fun, lovely theme. But the last one is troubling me and I'd appreciate help please.

37a Convection (may be a misprint for confection?) from France above English promontory.

Can't think of the promontory or the wind (or confection.

Have S _ RE _ ES _ - is it serenese?

102 of 109  -   Report This Post

ginge

15th August 2018, 16:17
Convection => Conviction, sur (French above) + E + ness.
103 of 109  -   Report This Post

collin

15th August 2018, 19:56
Hi all,

I’m new and hope I don’t go against the rules of this forum. I have created a very simple website that gives a daily crossword clue for you to answer. I created it thinking it might be of use for people who don’t have time for an entire crossword and it gives a little information about each clue’s answer. I’m reaching out to see if this is something that you all would consider using. Any feedback would be wonderful… what you like, what you don’t, what could make it better, or is it simply not helpful at all.

www.dailycrosswordclue.com

This site is free and will not try to sell you anything or ask for your email!

I’m just looking for honest feedback.

Thank you all so much!
104 of 109  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th August 2018, 04:19
Hi Malone, I just wanted to explain why I carried on trying to find the Z misprint after, as you pointed out, it had already been alluded to to in an earlier post on this thread. The problem was that, at the time of reading it, I was only just starting out and so only gave it a cursory glance. As such, I mistakenly thought it was referring to the 7th of the 8 clashes and not the 7th of the 19 misprints - hence it never occurred to me to go back and double check. That said, I always appreciate your input Malone and look forward to picking your brains in the future.

All the best,

Bren
105 of 109  -   Report This Post

malone

16th August 2018, 07:24
Thanks for that, Brendan. I seldom do Listener but often have a little look at the thread just to see what I'm missing (or not!). I'd seen 'prize' mentioned at one point and then your 'It was the very last one I found' comment. I thought, 'what a shame - if I'd been solving this and looked in here, I'd be a bit miffed with myself that I'd missed it.' My comment was just a little remark, added very quickly to a thread where most people were finished with the puzzle. Afterwards I thought I shouldn't have bothered!
106 of 109  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

16th August 2018, 09:45
Belated thanks, ginge. It's been a hectic week!

Daft of me not to spot it, but I didn't need the extra letters, since I spotted the name emerging in the grid and was away, being a fan of his. All except on that final clue. So thank you very much.
107 of 109  -   Report This Post

meursault

16th August 2018, 14:06
Hi Collin, you requested feedback.

The first thing to say is that there aren't really any rules here, other than being polite to one another, and tolerating the differing views of others. And that's not generally a problem as it's a good bunch who regularly use the site. And there's a guideline that we only give information in response to questions : someone logging in and giving the answer to every single clue of the puzzle would likely be frowned upon.

Your site. I don't wish to be rude, but I don't see the point. There are people on this forum who post threads with isolated clues to solve. Did you consider doing the same on crosswordsolver ?
108 of 109  -   Report This Post

malone

16th August 2018, 14:39
Collin, I think your post might have been better on its own, rather than as an answer on this Listener thread. I'm not a fan of ventures such as yours - a single crossword clue isn't a very satisfying experience! I'd much rather work my way - even if it's very slowly - through a whole crossword. So your 'reaching out' is wasted on me!
109 of 109  -   Report This Post